Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

My trucks on fire and the bass got away! Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation My trucks on fire and the bass got away! Help!!!

(Not Exactly how I wanted to spend Fathers Day)

Hey just curious if anybody can help me out...I was driving today (2005 F150 XLT Triton) and I stopped for gas and noticed smoke and a funky stench smell comming from inside of my right front rim.

I have know idea what's causing this and am concerned for safety reason obviously and for costs.

I do not want to be driving up I-95 and have my right front wheel fly off with two kids in the truck.

Also I noticed when I first started out all was fine. I was driving on I-95 w/ no problems. I got off at Atlantic Ave. in Delray and was heading to a top secret fishing spot when I noticed the smell. I pulled into a gas station and thats when I noticed the smoke and where it was comming from.

It seemed that when I was driving on 95 and NOT using my brakes I had no problems, but when I exited and started using the brakes thats when all H-E double L broke out.

I let the truck cool down for about 30 minutes and made a dash for home...The truck engine was running great but I could feel vibration and it felt like it was pulling or it felt like I was in a lower gear...

If anyone might know what these symptoms are related to, if you could please forward me the curtousey of letting me know I would certainly appreciate it..

As far as the Bass Fishing Goes- Oh well... They Live to swim another day.

Thanks for your time...
Mark
Old 06-20-2009, 05:43 PM
A New York state of mind

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a caliper was sticking and heated up
Old 06-20-2009, 05:59 PM

Yep! Time for a new caliper.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:02 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default smoke

it's either the caliper of the brake hose... the hose goes bad from the inside out....as you push the pedal it forces fluid into the hose and caliper, but when you back off the brakes the fluid stays trapped in the line, keeping the caliper pressed against the pads, and the pads pressed against the rotor.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:05 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

+2 on the caliper seizing. Suggest to inspect the wheel bearings - may have cooked the grease if things got hot enough. Not sure if the newer models have the sealed units or have the conventional bearing and race setup. May also wish to have the rotor checked for any warpage. Suggest to also get a good bleed on the new caliper in order to flush out any brake fluid that may have gotten cooked also.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

there have been alot of issues with calipers, i know one guy over at f150online had replaced all 4 calipers already...
Old 06-20-2009, 08:44 PM
Ian_T_S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This just happened to me and I was on I-95. I limped into a Firestone and they found that one of the cylinders on the driver side brake caliper was seized forward. So I was driving about 80 on the e-way and heated all of that stuff up the same way you did. $248.00 later I was back on the road without anymore issues. They recommended that I change the brake line and flush the system, if the fluid was dirty thats probably what caused the issue or if the brake line collapsed. Not sure if its already been fixed but like everyone else said on here..99% sure its the brake caliper.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:38 AM

Default I Really Appreciate The Responses

Hey I really appreciate all the feedback regarding my smoking tire/caliper...Atleast now I wont sound like a complete nicompoop when I take it in for service. I sincerely appreciate the advice.

I'll check it out this week and post the detail/problem later this week and what it entailed to fix it for future posts...

Thanks Again,

Mark
Old 06-27-2009, 08:10 AM
Dark Overlord of Planet X

Seems like the problem was pointed out, so did you at least get any bites?
Old 06-28-2009, 01:18 AM

Default Yep Yep Tons of great advice

Yeah I was actually pretty amazed at the responses...All replies were 98% the same verdict...Caliper.

Quite honestly I was going to take it in tuesday and spoke to a mechanic reffered by a friend but when I woke up it was lightning and thundering so bad I was like Ahhh...Literally lightning Cracking over my head...I'm lucky but I ain't gonna push it!

Turned on the news and boatloads of accidents already too on I-95 in South Florida so I havent gotten around to it yet...

My truck has been sitting in my driveway since then but I gotta get it in...Monday most likely...

I spoke to the mechanic and he said roughly around $210.00 bucks (at the worse) labor included...if it's what I described to him...which is exactly what was described to me within this thread I posted.

and PS. To all that replied.... Much Appreciated Amigos...I could tell the mechanic got right to the point when I sounded like I knew what the heck I was talking about....Good Stuff...

Thanks again guys...

Mark

Quick Reply: My trucks on fire and the bass got away! Help!!!