Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

My truck slams into gear, why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My truck slams into gear, why?

Lately i have noticed that when I slow down but not stopped all the way then hit the accelarator to like pass or just to pick up speed, the truck slams into gear hard then goes. One time I thought I broke something it slammed so hard its more like the rear end slamming, but hard to say. Why would that be happening?
Old 12-08-2010, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well seeming you're slowing down and them stomping on it you may just be confusing your truck. It doesn't know which gear to go into because you're sending it different signals, as in slowing down and them speeding up quickly. It's sordof like if you're accelerating and let off right before your truck shifts, it doesn't know which gear to go into. It doesn't sound like a big deal to me but it's hard to tell for sure without actually hearing the noise. Best of luck to ya
Old 12-08-2010, 09:54 PM

thanks for your insight, yeah its kinda hard to explain the noise its more like a thud, but I have done this before with other vehicles and never had a problem its kinda like when a vehicle is making a right turn in front of but damn near stops before turning and you are just trying to get around to get the speed up or when going through a yellow light quickly before getting flashed from the camera. i think I am going to check out a couple of things like the slip yoke and u joint.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya you can never be too safe, might as well check things out, can't hurt
Old 12-09-2010, 07:48 PM

I have the same problem with mine. I've taken it to the Ford dealership where I bought the truck and they reflashed the ECU thinking it would fix the problem and it didn't help one bit. I went back and asked again and they said they don't know whats wrong. To me, it seems like when your trying to get a passing gear to speed up, the transmission gets the throttle signal a little late and it feels like you hit the truck with a sledge hammer!
Old 09-11-2014, 09:08 AM

Default have you tried turning the O/D off?

I've been having the same problem with mine. Slams into gear after slowing. I turn the o/d off and the truck runs fine... Must be an electrical thing. Some sensor or something. Haven't bothered to take it in yet. Been running like that for years.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:17 PM
Ford Man

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine has this or a similar issue as well low speed slowing or light throttle acceleration seems to slam hard into second and then smoothly back int first with additional throttle. Only occasionally, pulling from a stop shifts like a dream. Like said above I think it gets confused.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:38 PM

Yep mine does it occasionally too. I've learned to not accelerate too hard after slowing down and it doesn't "slam" then.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:30 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

Mine does the same thing occasionally. I have found that feathering the throttle eliminates the problem. I think it has to do with the stupid electronic throttle, the more electronics the more issues. Gotta love technology!
Old 09-11-2014, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Doug06fx4screw
Mine does the same thing occasionally. I have found that feathering the throttle eliminates the problem. I think it has to do with the stupid electronic throttle, the more electronics the more issues. Gotta love technology!

Same thing....you almost have to learn when and when you can't slam down the hammer.

I drive through town to and from work, and I have this happen to me every now and then when I am slowing down and starting back up between stop signs.

Quick Reply: My truck slams into gear, why?