Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

My tail lights are all kinds of messed up guys

Old 01-19-2015, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My tail lights are all kinds of messed up guys

Ok first timer here, I use this forum all the time to fix little things here and there on my truck but nothing on the forum has helped with my tail lights, so here goes.
I have a 2004 stx 4.6l regular cab. When I turn on my running lights the tail lights are VERY dim, my rear flashers don't flash, my reverse lights don't come on, and my brake lights don't turn on. Now when my running lights are off the brake lights still don't work, but the flashers and reverse lights work. Then, with my running lights off, when I brake none of the lights come on and the flashers actually stop flashing (very dangerous when turning). I've tried fixing the good ol grounding wire attached to the harness in the rear. I even took it to ford and paid $850 for them to put a new multifunction switch, bulbs, speed sensor, and brake sensor on. That worked for about 2 days now I'm back at square one. If anyone has any ideas to save me from paying to get this sucker re-wired I would really appreciate it.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:40 PM

Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

For that much money I would suggest bringing it right back to ford with some aggression and I wouldn't pay one more dime. Talk to whom ever you talked to the first time and if they give you sh@:!, go above them. That's what I would do and after that never, ever........ever go back to ford for repairs.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:48 AM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by bourgeois1269
For that much money I would suggest bringing it right back to ford with some aggression and I wouldn't pay one more dime. Talk to whom ever you talked to the first time and if they give you sh@:!, go above them. That's what I would do and after that never, ever........ever go back to ford for repairs.
^ This, and also, how old is your battery? A battery or alternator on its way out can do some screwy things.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I plan on giving it back to ford when I come back into town. Not sure about the alternator since I bought the truck used about a year ago but the battery does look a little old maybe I'll screw with that before taking it back to those money hungry ***** at ford.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:50 AM
Ford Man

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just out of curiosity, how do the front lamps work? Headlights? If they are bright and look ok it has to be in the harness somewhere. Look in the well below the rocker panel cover and check the condition of the wires. Look under the truck for damaged or corroded connectors. If you poke around on the Forum you can probably find a wiring Diagram. Good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My tail lights are all kinds of messed up guys