Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

my spark plug story!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my spark plug story!

I know there are tons of spark plug threads this isn't a copy of those, I didn't want to hijack any of those but wanted to tell my spark plug adventure.

Just bought used F150 lariat 2006 5.4L super crew. About a month old 135,000 miles.
Had the well known 40-50 mph cruise speed acceleration jerk and shutter. I called local ford dealer, 600.00 to replace plugs, more if they broke.
I ordered motocraft plugs, and coils, OTC socket, and broken spark plug removal tool. Last night I started on it, pulled first plug, to my suprize it wasn't old, came right out, still had never seize on it! So I put it back in and replaced the coil, the coils looked real old. Moved to number 2 same thing, so on and so forth, so I replaced the coils and left the plugs they were in almost new condition. When I got to the last one by the ECM !!!! IT WAS TIGHT, who ever replaced the plugs got scared. So I cracked it a 1/4 turn, sprayed the hole with carb cleaner, let it sit over night, in the morning I sprayed it with pb blaster. Let it sit a half a day, then started working it back and forth till she loosened up, I took my time and it came out, it was old, looked original, and was bad, tip was waaayy worn down, and pitted the tip metal strap. Replaced it and the coil, blew out the hole, and cranked engine over to blow out any liquid that was in the cylinder. End of story truck runs great now, more power, no jerk and purs like a kitten at idle.

Even tho I didn't have to fight all 8, I just wanted to tell anyone attempting to do the job yourself, just take your time and work them back and forth a little at a time and be patient, as you work it spray it as your loosen and tighten this helped work the oil in.

Last edited by thebluesbox; 02-28-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:50 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I did my plugs a week ago. I too had 140,000 miles on my recently purchased 2006 5.4, I followed the OEM removal instructions also. Everyone of them broke. I also had an issue with just the nuts coming out and everything else staying, this happened on the rear plugs. I could not get enough grip on the plug to pull the electrode out of the lower porcelain.
I had to make a tool. It is 3/4" flat bar with a hole drilled in the end. Place it onto the tip at an angle and when it is forced straight it grabs the plug nice and you can pull it straight up to reveal the lower piece.
Then go at it with the Lisle tool. A life saver.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:38 PM

wow nifty little tool there. Sounds like you had a wilder adverture than I, im glad someone replaced the 7 plugs before me, and all I had to fight with was the last one by the ECM.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:08 AM

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

If you remove the battery and then remove the computer stuff from the firewall there is plenty of room in there.
Its only a couple bolts to remove the battery then a few more for the computer stuff. Battery went in the bed and the ECM with its bolts went to the front passenger floor.

I even had enough room to read my bent beam torque wrench when putting the plugs
Old 03-01-2015, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by jamie930
If you remove the battery and then remove the computer stuff from the firewall there is plenty of room in there.
Its only a couple bolts to remove the battery then a few more for the computer stuff. Battery went in the bed and the ECM with its bolts went to the front passenger floor.

I even had enough room to read my bent beam torque wrench when putting the plugs
I did that too but my issue was the nut came off the plug and everything else stayed in the cylinder. How to you gain enough grip and power to pull out the plug. That is why I had to make that little tool.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These spark plug stories scare me to death. My truck is at 116,xxx. I just bought it and have no idea as to weather the plugs have been changed or not
Old 03-01-2015, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff Gammon
These spark plug stories scare me to death. My truck is at 116,xxx. I just bought it and have no idea as to weather the plugs have been changed or not
If I were you, when you do t have much to do one afternoon, pull coil on number one cyl. And see if the plug comes loose easily, they may have been done before you got the truck. If not, I'd order the parts and tools and do it now. The main thing is to be patient with them, let them soak as long as you can, I let mine soak over night and sparayed them in the next morning and soaked again half of the next day. Then the key is to take your time with each one working them clock wise and counter clock wise just a 1/4 turn at a time.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:42 PM

How much did all of the stuff end up costing you?
Old 03-01-2015, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff Gammon
Jeff, let us know where you are located and perhaps someone here will let you borrow their tool. If you are near Mississauga, Ontario, Canada I will let you borrow mine.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by jdinner
Jeff, let us know where you are located and perhaps someone here will let you borrow their tool. If you are near Mississauga, Ontario, Canada I will let you borrow mine.
Long way from Canada. I'm in Northeast Arkansas

Quick Reply: my spark plug story!