Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

My spark plug adventure and truck info!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 10:09 PM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts
Default My spark plug adventure and truck info!

Alright, here is a little info...

I was tired of driving my 2000 mazda protege with 300k.. I just started a new job making decent money! so i decided I was going to buy a truck.. my buddy has a 2005 f150, he is why i bought mine.. I loved the way it sounded.. the look the power etc... So i only wanted to spend 10k at first... and I had high standards... figured out that wasn't happening so I got a loan for 14k... and I had 1k cash to spend so (15k total) i went to dealers/local places no one had the f150 I wanted.. so i went to craig's list.. after months of searching calling emailing.. Finally found MY TRUCK. 2006 f150 lariat black supercrew 125k miles. problem... he was 4 hours away... so I did a carfax, lots of pictures, questions then me and a work buddy decided to go on a road trip off to VA! and I bought the truck nice guy.

So I drove it home 4 hours... everything ran fine i was stoked... to have a truck

month later... truck always seemed to shift hard.. everyone told me its a "ford thing" so i let it go.. and then one day out on the beach.... I put it in reverse and "CLUNK". there went reverse... and fluid pouring out...

so I towed it to the house.. and gathered some money to have a tranny rebuilt.. So my father is a professional tranny guy he towed it to work one day and started pulling tranny out.. and come to find out the whole tranny case cracked in half, bands were burnt up sun gear broke and alot of other ****..

So i went on a mission to find a used 4r75E tranny.. found one! from a total'd truck... truck had 76k the salvage yard said the torque converter was changed at 30k and it was rebuilt so SCORE!. i then have my dad drop the pan change filter/fluid and stuff.

I picked it up few days later.. and the truck shifted so smooth. i was shocked.. i was in love again..

fast forward 3 weeks later.. a bunch of buddies decided to go mudding.. so im like lets go! off to the mud holes I went.. had fun.. till I decided to back out of a hole, and got water in the intake and had engine failsafe show up... and it sounded awful.. I let it idle for 30 minutes all cleared up... drove it home all good... the next morning on way to work I get "trans fault" and a P0712 DTC code.. it began shifting hard.. 0/d light flashing I was like ****KKK my code reader said trans temp sensor/pcm etc.... so i blew PCM Connectors/trans connectors out (thought water) didn't work.. So i went to ford bought a trans temp sensor dropped the pan installed it... and it still had the code.. did a bunch of test.... dropped pan again made sure everything was right.. then the p0712 code went away, and i began to get 2 more codes... related to EPC solenoid... so I was like what the ****.. did more test.. and it came down to the Trans temp sensor wiring harness i got from ford was bad.. so i sent it back got a new one and boom! all works. Drove it for few weeks washed it 4 times or so.. it's still bleeding mud... it took me hours to clean the MAF/THROTTLE BODY/INTAKE

decided I was going to do all the maintenance I could Here's the breakdown :

Front and rear diff fluids
Oil/filter
Break flush
Power Steering flush
Both 4wd actuators(had the IWE problem)
IWE solenoid on firewall

I used my truck alot I went to the beach every sunday, and I always pulled people out as well. I still do!

the previous owner said he did plugs at 100k.. so I believed him.. but after the mudding adventure I would change plugs/coil boots/springs...

passenger side came out easy with a RATCHET.. were indeed changed... get to the driver side and they were tight like they were never changed.. was like ****.. got the trusty impact out and zipped them out comes to find out they were originals.. here are the pictures of boots/plugs.

once i changed them.. i had great throttle response and MPG

All in all i'm happy about the truck..

only thing left for me to do is

complete timing change/phaser change/VCT solenoids ( I don't have the phaser knock but I got a startup rattle last 1-2 seconds then goes away) no loss of power or anything
BREAKS/ROTORS
SHOCKS
TIRES

Sorry if it's long and boring

Last edited by grss429; 08-14-2015 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't mind the read at all, I actually enjoyed reading about another Ford owners adventures. lol I have a 05 SCREW FX4 with 120k on her, I have had it about a year put on about 7k miles in that time. First thing I did was a fresh oil change with mobile 1 fully synthetic 5/20 and KnN oil filter. Let me tell you what, that was the worst mistake I have made since owning the truck! Truck sounded like hell on start up like something was going to rattle loose inside the motor and when the engine was warm it would rattle on acceleration on the low rpm range. Dealer reported that the previous owner had the cam phasers and lifters replaced at 40k with so called updated parts from another Ford dealer. Long story short I have switched to motorcraft synthetic blend 5/20 and motorcraft filter and she purrs like a kitten.. Think I'll save that mobile one for my 4 banger. If you didn't already know the motorcraft filter has a check valve in it to keep oil up top for startups from I understand.

Last edited by dvsjay303; 08-15-2015 at 04:20 AM.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:45 AM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Glad you got your truck running good again. You were lucky your plugs came out good. Word of caution though, if you want to go mudding in your truck be prepared to have to fix things. It's just gonna happen.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:52 AM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick's 06
Glad you got your truck running good again. You were lucky your plugs came out good. Word of caution though, if you want to go mudding in your truck be prepared to have to fix things. It's just gonna happen.
I didnt care really if the pluga broke, cause pevious owner bought the tool i had it in the truck and i prepaired myself for it.

Oh, i knew that.. but ice decided.. instead of beating up my 15k truck.. why not buy a 800 dollar jeep, (friends are all jeep freaks) do the same and not care? Put a locker and some tires on it!
Old 08-15-2015, 09:01 AM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by grss429

Oh, i knew that.. but ice decided.. instead of beating up my 15k truck.. why not buy a 800 dollar jeep, (friends are all jeep freaks) do the same and not care? Put a locker and some tires on it!
I think that's a great choice. Now you've got a toy you can go romp on and have fun. Then you can fix it at your leisure if you have to.

Quick Reply: My spark plug adventure and truck info!