Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

My Project for Today

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Big Enuf?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My Project for Today

Got up and started washing the truck this morning, got halfway through and and realized my grille cowls (I call them cowls, its the pieces of plastic that are between the windshield and hood) wiper arms and wheel wells look like ****. I have tried multiple times to restore the cowls and each has either not worked at all or worked for a little while and then they turn gray again. The wheel wells are just bad looking, especially on a clean truck

So I said **** it, Im painting them and headed to Wal-Mart. Got some Krylon plastic paint for the grill and cowl and some rubberized undercoating for the wheel wells. I of course forgot to take before pics of the wheel wells, but look back through some of my picture thread and you can see how crappy they looked. I also forgot to take afters, but Ill get those up later

Also when removing the emblem to paint the grille I managed to break one of the pegs off, but its superglued and drying right now...ill get some more pics after its back on

Before:

During:

Old 06-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Big Enuf?

After:

Old 06-07-2011, 04:17 PM

Looks good! I need to do this haha
Old 06-07-2011, 04:48 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice. I need to do this as well, my cowl and wipers are grey from fading.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it easy to remove the cowls i looked at mine and it seems theres just push pins that hold them...mine are soo faded from the sun i need to do this asap!
Old 06-07-2011, 06:04 PM

looks great man. little things like the cowells ell make all the difference! i wanna do this as well. any issues with the process? did you just go with a flat black? no primer?
Old 06-07-2011, 06:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jjiimmyy55
looks great man. little things like the cowells ell make all the difference! i wanna do this as well. any issues with the process? did you just go with a flat black? no primer?
Its textured finished so I dont think primer/sanding is necessary. I would give it a VERY good wash and hit it with adhesion promoter though.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:38 PM
Big Enuf?

Originally Posted by jonesdaddy
is it easy to remove the cowls i looked at mine and it seems theres just push pins that hold them...mine are soo faded from the sun i need to do this asap!
its pretty easy, just take off the wiper arms, pull the plastic push rivits out of the ends, push the clips on the front of the cowels toward the windshield, push down on the back at the windshield to release the clips underneath and pull it out toward the front under the hood

Originally Posted by jjiimmyy55
its actually a satin black, the Krylon plastic paint doesnt have (or at least the Wally Mart was out of, but I didnt see a place for it on the shelves) flat black. That kinds of paint doesnt require sanding or priming, so I just went with it

Originally Posted by mSaLL150
Its textured finished so I dont think primer/sanding is necessary. I would give it a VERY good wash and hit it with adhesion promoter though.
yeah I cleaned the crap out of them
Old 06-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Big Enuf?

and Im pretty sure the emblem is done, I dont think the superglue is gonna hold the peg on, so I may see if I can find another one on eBay...does any company make a black one?
Old 06-07-2011, 08:45 PM

Nice little window sticker you have there sir..haha

Quick Reply: My Project for Today