Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

My Misfire adventure!

Old 01-18-2012, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Misfire adventure!

Well i changed the plugs, coils and swapped injectors and i just couldn't track down the misfire issue on my pickup. So i gave up and dropped it off at ford to take a look at it telling them what i have tested.

Well turns out my cam phaser was junk (what a surprise). The techs claimed they have never seen a cam phaser actually cause this type of issue. So they pull the phaser off and see that one hole on my cam is VERY bored out so to say. So the cam has to be replaced. (see pic).

Well at this point my repair cost were going to be 1900. Lucky for me i bought extended warranty with my pickup. Now it was only going to cost me around 300!! (Glad i bought that warranty) i was pumped!

Well after they pulled the cam out they realized that this whole one side of the motor (driver side) was running low on oil pressure because of a blown seal on the timing chain tensioner. Which then ruined these guys (see pic below).

Well these guys are related to the head and the head is now ruined and getting replaced with a brand new head directly from ford. Now repair cost is at 4800.00. Warranty will now cover 4260.00 of the cost! (Score again). The only reason im paying some is because of preventive maintenance that i gave them the OK on. They have had my pickup for 1 week as of today. And wont be done till next week now. Lucky for me my warranty covers a rental till this friday so i have been driving a 2012 Chevy 1500 4dr since last friday. Gotta say i kinda like it! :0

I bought this pickup knowing there was a misfire issue but thinking simple mechanic's (coil and spark plug) i guess i was wrong.

Just thought i would share this with you guys.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:58 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Glad you're not stuck with the big bill. Still not sure I understand how a blown seal on a tensioner caused low oil pressure on one side of the engine. Did a piece come off and plug an oil passage?
Old 01-18-2012, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rick's 06
Glad you're not stuck with the big bill. Still not sure I understand how a blown seal on a tensioner caused low oil pressure on one side of the engine. Did a piece come off and plug an oil passage?
I really wish i knew too but that's the only sign they could find that would have caused it.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:51 PM

Even better NEWS!! 2004 5.4L were a one off head so no other year of head would work with this motor. Getting the head directly from Ford turned into a Backorder Nightmare. BACKORDERED out to FEB. 20th!! Luckily my warranty used their resources and was able to find me a head and i should have the pickup NOW Monday or Tuesday.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:10 PM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

This is why I get oil analysis done on my vehicles. I'm 100% certain you would have seen the spike in wear metals long before it got to that point. It wouldn't have prevented it, but you would have known before a misfire something was up.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

wow, I bought one of those warranties too! if this happens to me, I hope it happens within the next year!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Misfire adventure!