Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Is my limited slip differential broken?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 10:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is my limited slip differential broken?

Hello this past summer I bought a 2005 F150 with the 4.2 V6 and 5 speed manual transmission. The truck has 56,000 miles on it. The rear axle is code H9 which should be a 3.55 limited slip.

Until today I had never had an opportunity to test out the limited slip. We now have some snow and ice here in Ohio so I am able to see how everything is working.

To test the axle I had the drivers rear wheel on a puddle of ice and the passengers side on dry pavement. When the tires lost traction only the drivers side on ice was spinning and I was not able to go anywhere.
Am I correct that if my limited slip was functioning properly the passengers side should have kicked in and I would be able to move no problem?

My dad has a Chevrolet with limited slip and with his you can feel the axle kick in when your wheels start to slip, should mine work the same way?
Old 11-18-2014, 01:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Easy check put the truck on two jack stand or get the two rear tires of the ground and spin the tires by hand if you spin one and the other tire should spin the same direction if it spins the opposit it' open diff and if it dosent you may have a bad clutch

Note: I've never had a limited slip but I would figure that if the clutches are worn it won't spin the othe tire due to no clutch contacts between both tires

Wait for other members for there opinion
Old 11-19-2014, 08:25 AM

Ok I will jack the truck up and do that test here in a couple of days when the weather is warmer. Right now it is covered in salt and slush from driving in the snow. I wouldn't mind this winter weather as much if my vehicles didn't get covered in the nasty salt they put on the roads.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:07 AM

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

it's only 40lbs/ft to break the limited slip clutch loose and spin only one wheel.

so if you step on it: it will spin only 1 wheel easily!
The following users liked this post:
homer (11-20-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 09:29 PM

So this afternoon I jacked the rear of the truck up and spun the wheels by hand and they both moved in the same direction. So according to this test it is working like it should.
I also did some research to see what type of axle my dads truck has on it. His 2000 Chevy has the stock 3.73 Eaton G80 locking rear differential. From what I understand this axle operates differently than the Ford limited slip. Hear is a youtube video comparing the GM to Ford.

I pretty much did the same test as they did in that video. I had my drivers wheel on ice and the passenger on dry pavement. I was on a hill in 1st gear and tried to get the truck moving and all that happened was the one tire spinning.
I later borrowed my dads Chevrolet and did the same test. With his truck you could feel the axle kick in and got traction right away.

So maybe there is nothing wrong with my differential since I was comparing it to a Chevy which works differently.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:01 PM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

Replace the Ford limited slip with a TruTrac. Much better.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by srtruck
So this afternoon I jacked the rear of the truck up and spun the wheels by hand and they both moved in the same direction. So according to this test it is working like it should.
I also did some research to see what type of axle my dads truck has on it. His 2000 Chevy has the stock 3.73 Eaton G80 locking rear differential. From what I understand this axle operates differently than the Ford limited slip. Hear is a youtube video comparing the GM to Ford. Eaton G80 Locking Rear Differential - YouTube

I pretty much did the same test as they did in that video. I had my drivers wheel on ice and the passenger on dry pavement. I was on a hill in 1st gear and tried to get the truck moving and all that happened was the one tire spinning.
I later borrowed my dads Chevrolet and did the same test. With his truck you could feel the axle kick in and got traction right away.

So maybe there is nothing wrong with my differential since I was comparing it to a Chevy which works differently.
I know this is a really old thread, but I laughed my *** off with that chevy. The narrator shows their '2WD truck with the G80' go over the rollers. Funny how it says Z71 on the side. Also, the chevy virtually stopped to let their LS kick in while they just floored the Ford.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:41 AM

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

a locking differentiel and a clutch limited slip is totally different mecanism

the locking is electricaly activated while the clucth a constant limited until the clutch slip.

Like I said: if you clutch out quick: the 40lbs/ft will be acheive really quick and spin the easiest wheel.
if you clutch it out real slow(no gaz) it should go forward.

Other then that: your clutch pack are used and they slip too easy.
Clutch arent too pricey(but if you spin it often and wait too long: it gonna cost you a set of spider gear and those aren't cheap.

Quick Reply: Is my limited slip differential broken?