Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Is my 5.4L 3V sounding good?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 02:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Is my 5.4L 3V sounding good?

Hey guys,

I've only had my truck a few months, it runs good, but I can't speak for the various noises that come and go with these engines.

https://*******/e/tEej

Here's a video of it running, I think I might be hearing that tick, but it might be normal operation. Anyone care to take a quick listen and let me know if I should be aware of anything?

Thanks!

Edit: I'm aware of the cam phaser issue, and that is my primary concern, but I can't hear any ticking at all whenever the hood is closed. Inside the cabin, it's pretty damn quiet.

Last edited by Hootsworth; 12-06-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:07 PM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Sounds like Fuel Injector noise to me honestly. Which is normal they are pretty loud
The following users liked this post:
Hootsworth (12-06-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 04:32 PM

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

You have no issues here. Close the book, end of story. Sounds very good.

Other issues if your truck is new to you:

Drop your spare tire and check your FPDM. (Fuel Pump Driver Module). It's a quick check but absolutely necessary. Lots of good information on the forum if you search but basically it's a small part above the spare tire. What happens is it can actually corrode and form a large hole in it. Eventually leading to the truck being unable to run. Definitely look at this if you use your truck in the backwoods, away from cell service and people as it could easily get you stuck.

Next, on a cold start, do you hear a loud slapping sound lasting roughly 2-5 seconds? These trucks have a well known issue where the hydraulic chain tensioner can fail and bleed oil around them. Among other things this can cause the loose timing chain to slap against their plastic guides which break and fall into the oil pan, plugging the oil pickup tube (as well as other nasty stuff). If you truck is making the start up noise and, seeing as how your truck sounds so nice right now, I would get it fixed. It's pricey but this will kill your truck over time.

Be religious with oil changes and only use motorcraft oil filters. Cheap filters have killed many of these engines. Others can chime in with other known issues with these trucks but for me, these are the big ones.
Hootsworth (12-06-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 08:05 PM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

Sounds good, I just hear injector noise. Be religious with oil changes, I use 5W30 myself but always stick with a MC oil filter because of the filter quality. Take care of maintenance of the truck and the truck will take care of you. BTW, have you posted pics of the truck yet, we like pictures. Good luck.

Tom
Hootsworth (12-06-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 08:10 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Sounds good to me. Any oil filter with the anti-drain back will work, several brands make them. But I stick with Motorcraft filters anyway, since the are the most affordable.

ColdinCanada hit the nail on the head!
Hootsworth (12-06-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 08:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vintageman
Sounds good, I just hear injector noise. Be religious with oil changes, I use 5W30 myself but always stick with a MC oil filter because of the filter quality. Take care of maintenance of the truck and the truck will take care of you. BTW, have you posted pics of the truck yet, we like pictures. Good luck.

Tom
Yup, I've posted pictures. Attached!

Originally Posted by Summers22
Sounds good to me. Any oil filter with the anti-drain back will work, several brands make them. But I stick with Motorcraft filters anyway, since the are the most affordable.

ColdinCanada hit the nail on the head!
That's been my plan. I'm pretty much sticking to all Motorcraft on everything. I've always liked the way 11th Gen F-150s look, so I'm really wanting this to be a stock F-150 that runs for a long time.

Edit: I'm currently sticking to 5w20 MC Synth Blend in my oil.

Originally Posted by ColdinCanada
Bunch of stuff
I'm decently versed on some of the common issues on this particular breed of trucks. Defintely been told about the FPDM once or twice. Mines in great shape, living in Florida (and the prev owner living in FL/TX as well) this thing has next to no rust on it.

You did remind me to look at the tensioner though, I've heard quite a few people having their tensioners on their F-150s giving out and causing some major issues.

Fortunately, no cold start slapping. The only noise this thing makes is what I posted in my video. It looks like, despite scattered records, the person before me took pretty decent care of this truck.

Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited by Hootsworth; 12-06-2015 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:51 PM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Hootsworth
Yup, I've posted pictures. Attached!That's been my plan. I'm pretty much sticking to all Motorcraft on everything. I've always liked the way 11th Gen F-150s look, so I'm really wanting this to be a stock F-150 that runs for a long time.

Edit: I'm currently sticking to 5w20 MC Synth Blend in my oil.I'm decently versed on some of the common issues on this particular breed of trucks. Defintely been told about the FPDM once or twice. Mines in great shape, living in Florida (and the prev owner living in FL/TX as well) this thing has next to no rust on it.

You did remind me to look at the tensioner though, I've heard quite a few people having their tensioners on their F-150s giving out and causing some major issues.

Fortunately, no cold start slapping. The only noise this thing makes is what I posted in my video. It looks like, despite scattered records, the person before me took pretty decent care of this truck.

Thanks for the help guys!

That's a nice FX2, looks just like mine looked stock! Great looking truck!
Old 12-06-2015, 10:04 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Nice FX2! Do you have leather or cloth? You even have the same tires as me.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:12 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

purrs like a kitten
Old 12-08-2015, 01:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think mine sounds the same. Anyone got some good links of what a bad 5.4 sounds like? In a post above some stated a slapping issue. I'm not quite sure, but I do hear something like that when its really cold.

Quick Reply: Is my 5.4L 3V sounding good?