Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

My 06' Threw a P1744 Code? Need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 06' Threw a P1744 Code? Need some help!

Hey guys. Im new to the forum so if this is posted in the wrong section im sorry. I have an 06' F150 fx4 with about 35k miles on it and today while driving, it threw a P1744 Torque Converter Clutch System Stuck in Off Position code. I did some looking on the web and couldn't find anything about this problem on a F150 so, I guess what im asking is any ideas on how to fix this or what exactly the problem is? Thanks for all the help!

Jeremy
Old 08-13-2010, 09:31 AM

Anyone?
Old 08-13-2010, 12:09 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Component: TCC
Condition: The PCM picked up an excessive amount of TCC slippage during normal vehicle operation.
Symptom: TCC slippage/erratic or no torque converter clutch operation.

Only readily available issues are probably the shift linkage and the electrical stuff (you'll need a manual to go through the self test and start trouble shooting)

You comfortable going in the tranny? If not you're probably going to need to go to a mechanic on this one.

If you are, get your hands on a service manual or subscribe to alldatadiy.com, and start going through the pinpoint test.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:32 PM

All I could find was pretty much exactly what GATORB8 said Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Solenoid. If you can find a diagram of your transmission I've heard of people replacing these fairly cheap compared to bringing it to a shop but if you're not comfortable taking apart the tranny you might be better off taking it to a shop.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by GATORB8
Component: TCC
Condition: The PCM picked up an excessive amount of TCC slippage during normal vehicle operation.
Symptom: TCC slippage/erratic or no torque converter clutch operation.

Only readily available issues are probably the shift linkage and the electrical stuff (you'll need a manual to go through the self test and start trouble shooting)

You comfortable going in the tranny? If not you're probably going to need to go to a mechanic on this one.

If you are, get your hands on a service manual or subscribe to alldatadiy.com, and start going through the pinpoint test.
Originally Posted by mattyboy82
All I could find was pretty much exactly what GATORB8 said Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Solenoid. If you can find a diagram of your transmission I've heard of people replacing these fairly cheap compared to bringing it to a shop but if you're not comfortable taking apart the tranny you might be better off taking it to a shop.

Hey thanks for the help guys. I talked to the local ford shop today and they said pretty much the same thing. That is was most likely the solenoid. Its a bummer that I gotta to do this cause I just saved enough pennys to get 4.56's put in. Guess they'll have to wait till I get the tranny fixed. Thanks again for the help and I'll let you all know what I figure out.

Jeremy
Old 05-20-2015, 06:59 PM

Received 143 Likes on 109 Posts

Digging up an old thread. I have an 05 and just got the same code. Did you replace the solenoid and did that fix the problem?
Old 02-15-2016, 03:16 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by connorfx4
Digging up an old thread. I have an 05 and just got the same code. Did you replace the solenoid and did that fix the problem?
Same question for me, did you resolve your issue connorfx4 ?
Old 02-15-2016, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bobby Lane
Same question for me, did you resolve your issue connorfx4 ?
I replaced the the torque converter clutch solenoid and haven't had the problem since.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:27 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by connorfx4
I replaced the the torque converter clutch solenoid and haven't had the problem since.
Good to hear. I'm watching a youtube video on that procedure as I type! Where did you get your replacement part? Pretty straight forward?
Old 02-15-2016, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bobby Lane
Good to hear. I'm watching a youtube video on that procedure as I type! Where did you get your replacement part? Pretty straight forward?
I got it from Advance Auto. Made by Wells. If I recall I think it was $45. I also watched a video and read a few articles about it prior to install. Yes, it was pretty straight forward after watching videos on how to do it.

Quick Reply: My 06' Threw a P1744 Code? Need some help!