Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

MSD Stacker 8

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Ford/Mazda Parts guy

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default MSD Stacker 8

Has anyone ever used one of these on a 3v 5.4L?

I have one sitting on the shelf at work and wondered if it might be a gas mileage increasing option

http://www.msdignition.com/ignition_29_7020.htm

Has anyone done any ignition mods for that matter?
Old 08-05-2008, 11:55 AM
none.

Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

given MSD's somewhat spotty performance with DIS systems, I wouldnt be surprised if it didnt change much. By spotty performance I mean the DIS4 system that is prone to failure and contains bypasses for a reason, their coilpacks that are just rebadged OEM type with no real improvement, and their plug wires that for instance on my car lasted all of 13 months and only cost $120. MSD seems to done the dong on distributorless applications.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:00 PM
Ford/Mazda Parts guy

I have heard good things about the Staker 8,the DIS4 on the other hand is a joke.I know that one from first hand experience.

So has anyone done any ignition upgrades
Old 08-06-2008, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

yoda! you seek yoda!its not my birthday
Old 08-06-2008, 07:44 PM

The ignition system on our trucks are very good to start with. It is the same as used on the 05 and up Mustangs. I was running the stock coils on my supercharged 05 Mustang Gt at 500hp with no issues. I have seen 1000hp mustangs running the stock ignition with no issues also. I decided just to change the coils on my mustang with the new Summit coils and did notice a smoother throttle but really no extra hp. I figured I would try them since they only cost $249.00. I would say unless you plan on a 1000hp truck, I would leave the factory system alone and use the $$ on something else. Just my .02 from personal experiance.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Ford/Mazda Parts guy

Originally Posted by killbee
The ignition system on our trucks are very good to start with. It is the same as used on the 05 and up Mustangs. I was running the stock coils on my supercharged 05 Mustang Gt at 500hp with no issues. I have seen 1000hp mustangs running the stock ignition with no issues also. I decided just to change the coils on my mustang with the new Summit coils and did notice a smoother throttle but really no extra hp. I figured I would try them since they only cost $249.00. I would say unless you plan on a 1000hp truck, I would leave the factory system alone and use the $$ on something else. Just my .02 from personal experiance.
Well,I have not researched the ignition system on these trucks but I know for a fact that the ignition system on the 03-04 Cobra wasn't exactly adequate and the coils used in that systems max output was 20K for volts,my other car uses the same coils as the Cobra and I swapped them for the Sniper coils which have a max output of 80k.

The Sniper coils leaned out the car .1-.2 according to my wideband and I picked up a few whp as well.

That is why I asked on the ignition system of these trucks since they have a similar system.

Does anyone know the output of the stock coils?
Old 08-06-2008, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by djquik1
Well,I have not researched the ignition system on these trucks but I know for a fact that the ignition system on the 03-04 Cobra wasn't exactly adequate and the coils used in that systems max output was 20K for volts,my other car uses the same coils as the Cobra and I swapped them for the Sniper coils which have a max output of 80k.

The Sniper coils leaned out the car .1-.2 according to my wideband and I picked up a few whp as well.

That is why I asked on the ignition system of these trucks since they have a similar system.

Does anyone know the output of the stock coils?
I do know the coils on the Cobras and our trucks are very similiar in style and output. But, your not compairing apples to apples.The Cobra is a boosted engine which creates higher combustion pressures. Where as your truck is n/a running stock compression. Yes, you will pick up a few hp on the Cobra, usually 5 to 10 but if you adjust your tune for the leaner condition, that will go away. I can take the Cobra, program .1 to .2 leaner on the fuel curve and get the same hp increase with the stock coils. Your not gaining because the system is that much better your gaining because of the leaner condition. If the system is not good enough,spark blow-out will occur or a rich condition that is not tunable. Like I said before there are alot of the newer mod engines running stock ignitions with alot more hp than your truck will ever see. Oh, to answer your questiion stock output for the coils is between 20k and 25k volts. With the coil-on -plug setup we have thats good for at least 600hp. Our systems are alot more effeciant than the old style with plug wires and a distrubuter. The older cars would loose alot of voltage thru the wires alone thus requiring a hotter coil to compensate.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:17 AM
Ford/Mazda Parts guy

Originally Posted by killbee
I do know the coils on the Cobras and our trucks are very similiar in style and output. But, your not compairing apples to apples.The Cobra is a boosted engine which creates higher combustion pressures. Where as your truck is n/a running stock compression. Yes, you will pick up a few hp on the Cobra, usually 5 to 10 but if you adjust your tune for the leaner condition, that will go away. I can take the Cobra, program .1 to .2 leaner on the fuel curve and get the same hp increase with the stock coils. Your not gaining because the system is that much better your gaining because of the leaner condition. If the system is not good enough,spark blow-out will occur or a rich condition that is not tunable. Like I said before there are alot of the newer mod engines running stock ignitions with alot more hp than your truck will ever see. Oh, to answer your questiion stock output for the coils is between 20k and 25k volts. With the coil-on -plug setup we have thats good for at least 600hp. Our systems are alot more effeciant than the old style with plug wires and a distrubuter. The older cars would loose alot of voltage thru the wires alone thus requiring a hotter coil to compensate.
That is the thing though,I am using the Sniper coils on an N/A car and have had it tuned and then re-tuned for the Sniper coils now and got a 12whp increase when re-tuned.

I don't know,there has not been anyone on here that has really done any ignition upgrades so I might be the guinea pig.If I choose to go that route I will post my findings.

Quick Reply: MSD Stacker 8