Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Motorcraft or Champion SP?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 11:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Motorcraft or Champion SP?

Did my plugs about a month ago and have been chasing a misfire ever since. Had a shop check it out and the coils tested fine but Cyls 1,4 and 7 showed misfires...not enough to throw a code though.

They said I probably got a bad batch of plugs and they have seen it before with Motorcraft...they recommended getting Champion plugs

Anyone go with champion in there 5.4L? thoughts??
Old 08-12-2014, 11:59 AM

Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by nufan
Did my plugs about a month ago and have been chasing a misfire ever since. Had a shop check it out and the coils tested fine but Cyls 1,4 and 7 showed misfires...not enough to throw a code though.

They said I probably got a bad batch of plugs and they have seen it before with Motorcraft...they recommended getting Champion plugs

These engine only like motor craft plugs. Anything else causes them to have all sorts of issues. I would pull the ones you just installed and check for cracks in the ceramic and make sure they are gapped correctly
Old 08-12-2014, 01:17 PM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

I've had my Champions in for 85,000 KM (53,000 Miles) and haven't had any issues. I do have MC's sitting in my tool box ready to be installed though. I haven't had any misfires but want to see if I notice any difference in the butt dyno or MPG's. We shall see.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:27 PM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

how many miles on the current plugs and COP's ?? I would not install Champs over motorcraft though....
Old 08-12-2014, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by techrep
how many miles on the current plugs and COP's ?? I would not install Champs over motorcraft though....

Current plugs got put in on July 3rd, I would guess 300-500 miles. COPs i have no idea, got the truck with 85k on it.

But the COPs tested fine and the one plug they did pull (#7) they said looked older than a month
Old 08-12-2014, 02:29 PM

I am taking the truck back to the shop that put them in (I bought the plugs) and they said they will take out all and look inspect them.

Should I replace all 8 if some look okay or just the "bad" looking ones?
Old 08-12-2014, 04:49 PM

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

I am taking the truck back to the shop that put them in (I bought the plugs) and they said they will take out all and look inspect them.

If it were me, since they are pulling out all of the plugs to check them anyway I would have them go ahead and put new motorcraft plugs back in. Like I said, that is just me and what I would do if they are going to delve that deep into it.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:46 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT
If it were me, since they are pulling out all of the plugs to check them anyway I would have them go ahead and put new motorcraft plugs back in. Like I said, that is just me and what I would do if they are going to delve that deep into it.
I agree with what he said^^^ kind of a no brainer IMO.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:28 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Yes...replace all 8 with Motorcraft

Quick Reply: Motorcraft or Champion SP?