Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

more electric door lock problem - but slightly different

Old 11-18-2012, 06:28 PM
2005 XLT SuperCrew 4x4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default more electric door lock problem - but slightly different

Hi folks,
Hoping someone can help determine root cause on this one. I've got a 2005 F150 s-crew XLT. Nothing special or aftermarket, pretty vanilla..
I've read all the notes regarding electric locks, opened the drivers door panel, checked behind the drivers kick-panel, checked for the typical broken ground, ohmed the thick black ground wire out, not a problem there. Anyway here are my symptoms:
What was once intermittent, but now solidly not-working; The electric locks are not working, and at the same time the automatic headlights don't work (although they do manually), the radio fails to shut-off (but does time-out), and the dome lights don't work when any of the doors are opened. So similar to the other door issue with broken ground, but in addition windows work fine (for now!), and the auto on-off light circuit does not work. Have checked the wiring that is visible under the rocker cover, no sign of problems there either...

FRUSTRATING!!

Any help MUCH appreciated!
Old 11-21-2012, 02:12 PM
2005 XLT SuperCrew 4x4

OK, no solution yet. However, I checked the black ground in the drivers door, indeed it had a small nick (fixed it) no joy. A friend sent me wiring diagrams from Ford service manual and I checked all the appropriate wiring under drivers side front and rear door sills for auto-headlamp (violet-orange & tan-white), drivers door switch & passenger door lock switch (pink-lime/light green & pink-yellow), also verified that the junctions of the pink wires are OK ( no loose wires), luckily/unfortunately no signs of any corrosion/chaffed wiring...
Looks like my next step is to pull the rear seat out ans check the wiring into the Body Security Module... Oh joy. Priced a BSM $225 from local Ford dealer... Anybody know if this has to be programmed and if so, do I need the dealer to do this?

Thanks
Old 11-21-2012, 04:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you at all tried pulling the negative battery cable for about 15 minutes to reset the BCM and ECM? Sounds like a BCM issue to me...
The following users liked this post:
JMSRE (11-21-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 05:01 PM
2005 XLT SuperCrew 4x4

Thanks, yes, I noticed when doing something on the truck when it was an "intermittent" problem that disconnecting the battery corrected the problem... So I did try that, but I didn't wait 15 minutes... I'll try that before dropping the $225!
Old 11-21-2012, 05:47 PM
2005 XLT SuperCrew 4x4

OK, disconnected negative battery terminal, waited 30 minutes, no luck. Guess I'll pull the rear seat and check the last bit of wiring up to the BSM/BCM and if nothing is found, order a new BSM/BCM, unless I can find a compatible used one in good shape locally!
Old 11-23-2012, 12:19 PM
2005 XLT SuperCrew 4x4

OK, thanks to this link ( http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/i...2006_F150.html ) I was able to get the back seat out, seems the BSM/BCM or Chassis Control Module (as the used-parts world calls it!) is flakey. Checked wiring to the unit, all seemed OK. pulled the connectors off and checked for proper power-ground connections, they all seemed to be correct, so wiring appears OK. plugged them back in, and voila, everything was working again! Put the back seat back in, and voila, everything is NOT working again! Pulled them out, checked AGAIN for wiring issue, none found, went through a regimented order of connecting/start/shut-off truck as I checked each connection, and other than disconnecting the blue connector (C3008B) everything was as expected. again checked the connectors for loose wires going into the sockets, they were all OK. Put it back together checking proper function at each step and after each step it worked. finished up, drove around for 30 minutes, everything still works... Still sounds like a bad BSM/BCM/CCM so I guess I'll try a used one for $40 before spending $240 on a new one...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: more electric door lock problem - but slightly different