Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Moonroof won't close all the way

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Moonroof won't close all the way

Last night I noticed my moonroof won't close all the way. It will open fully and will mostly shut. When closing the moonroof it's supposed to lift up in the back and seal shut. After that you have the option of pressing the button again and then the back will raise up about an inch to vent air.

Not only will the glass not lift up and seal when closing, but I can't get the glass to tilt up for venting either. When I was opening/closing trying to find root cause, I did hear a snap and it looks like two little pieces of the plastic rail broke off. I found two tiny little broken pieces of plastic on each side.

Anybody seen this before or can point me to a post? I've searched using google and the search engine on this forum and I can't find this problem.

2005 F150 FX4
5.4L
The following users liked this post:
Wbucky4849 (08-24-2020)
Old 09-03-2011, 01:56 PM

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

hmm, never heard of this before, sounds broken to me, going to a mechanic or ford dealership is probably your best bet, unless you can find someone who knows about moonroofs.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sunroof won't close tightly

Responding to desertTruck. We have the same problem on our 2007 F150. Did you find an answer to the problem? If so, would love to find out what it is. Thanks.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:07 PM

Same thing just happened to my truck, did it end up being an easy fix?
Old 09-01-2013, 05:52 PM

I know this thread was old, but has anyone else had this issue and what was done about it?
Old 09-01-2013, 08:46 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Let me check my truck moonroof in daylight tomorrow & see if it's similar to my car. A few months back I had the same problem with my car. There ended up being an aluminum block that fit into the slide rail on both sides. There's only a phillips head screw that hold these blocks in place & 1 was just loose enough that the moonroof would go back the entire way no problem but was less than 1/2" from closing completely & there for would not tip up at the back either. It did not make any unusual noise. I stood above car & looked down in while running moonroof foward & I could tell that's where it was catching. Tightened the screw in the block & has been flawless since.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:05 PM
Load and Charge

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

Bumping an old one again... My 13' F150's moonroof was doing this last night, it would open and close but in the final steps of the closing motion, it would pop up to seal against the roof then pop back down in the back. So today I opened it all the way and closed it a few times to see if it just needed to reset the timing (battery dies the day before all this happen from a light being left on). No such luck, as a matter of fact, now it's even worse. The moonroof is now stuck open all the way. When I hit the slide button to get it to close, it closes almost all the way then stops at the last minute and opens all the way back up again...

Any ideas on this one?

Trending Topics

Old 06-13-2015, 08:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there are a couple threads about broken moon roofs, which i discovered after mine broke. the sunroof doctor makes a repair kit to replace the broken plastic pieces in the sunroof mechanism. I was able to get mine to close all the way by removing the glass and manually seating the glass, so I haven't installed the repair kit, but others have reported success with it.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:07 PM
Load and Charge

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Slick
there are a couple threads about broken moon roofs, which i discovered after mine broke. the sunroof doctor makes a repair kit to replace the broken plastic pieces in the sunroof mechanism. I was able to get mine to close all the way by removing the glass and manually seating the glass, so I haven't installed the repair kit, but others have reported success with it.
Well luckily the weather held off until Saturday morning. I showed up at the Ford dealer at 0730 and dropped it off. They'll fix it under warranty, so it's no big deal in terms of getting it fixed, I was just more concerned about having it rain before I could get it down to the dealer. Timing was ok for me, thank goodness, my bumper to bumper expires in 5 months...

Anyway, the service writer said it wasn't anything that he's heard of on a regular, not that it doesn't happen, but he didn't indicate that it was a "common problem." The only drama now is my OCD knowing that my lady is in another man's hands I VERY RARELY take my vehicles to anyone to do anything to them, I'm a do it yourselfer; it was like leaving my kid at a new daycare for the first time. I kept looking back at it as I was walking away, like it was gonna be the last time I saw it... LOL
Old 01-19-2016, 09:03 AM

I know it's late but for you or anyone else this happens to this worked for me. If you can get it to close to the point where it won't seal. Wait until you're at a stop them press the button up like you're trying to raise up the back but you have to press it twice fast. DOUBLE TAP!

Quick Reply: Moonroof won't close all the way