Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Modify rear seat to fold down?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Modify rear seat to fold down?

I searched the forum but can't seem to find if anyone has tried this. I'm interested in seeing if anyone has modified their rear seat in an '08 extra cab so it will fold down. I'm considering a larger sound system that would require six amplifiers, each is 24" long. If I decide to build this way behind the seat would be the only place to mount them. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why do you want something so load?

It will damage your hearing and You will not be able to hear emergency vehicles coming up on you, you will not be able to hear someone honking a horn to warn you of something.

don't try and say it will not be that load because a system like that will not be played at a safe level.

Don't take this post wrong. I drive fire trucks and a lot of times I start to come up on someone that needs move over but don't because they can not hear my sirens and when I get close to them I can hear the music over my sirens and air horns.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:40 PM
Car Audio Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i drive a very loud vehicle all day long, ive been in 160 db vehicles, its a work of art is what it is, its not damaging to your ears if you do it right...i hear fine, so do my friends

what amps are you running? i may be able to steer you in a smaller more powerfull direction
Old 12-28-2008, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by loganberry
i drive a very loud vehicle all day long, ive been in 160 db vehicles, its a work of art is what it is, its not damaging to your ears if you do it right...i hear fine, so do my friends
Have you ever had a true hearing test?

take your base line and then take a test a few years latter and see if you have any shift. You can damage your hearing with you knowing it and once it is damaged it is gone nothing can be done to fix it.

when putting in such a sound system you have to think about other things as well like I said it will be very hard for you to hear emergency vehicles approaching or other drivers horns to warn you, a lot of places have noise ordinances and you can be ticked if you system is to load.

Last edited by rickyp; 12-28-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Car Audio Junkie

yes, you get tickets, but its a passion, a hobby, i do this for fun, i compete and other things too, ive had multiple hearing tests no problem a friend of mine has been doing this for 30 years hearing is just as good as day 1... i always tell ppl the massive amounts of money im spending on car audio i could be spending on drugs or boo's...you choose..:P
Old 12-29-2008, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys....we're off subject here. I'm well aware of protecting my hearing. I'm a pro sound quality competitor. This is a demo vehicle. I've been heavily involved in car audio since 1993 and own a custom install shop. I was just wondering if you guys have seen anyone modify their seat in this manner. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:30 AM
MuthaTruckin' Monster

Exclamation My Rant

Yeah, sorry to say that I don't have an answer but reading through some of the previous posts, I was just like sitting here like WTF???

I mean all the dude asked was about sizing up so audio equip. in the rear of his truck, and somehow we get onto the line of his safety, the safety of others, hearing fire trucks and other emergency vehicles coming, and when was the last time he got a hearing test, and then another one to compare the two...

Is it really any of our business what or why this is for. The OP asked a legitimate question so I don't understand why sometimes posters beat around the bush with issues of morals or ethics. We should just be here to answer questions for our fellow F-150'ers and give them sound advice for their specific question at hand.

If we were on a drug forum (which I'm sure there are many of), and someone asked how to mix up some heroin so that they could shoot up, the peeps giving answers should just answer the question with moralizing the issue. You're on a drug forum for Christ sake. There really is no reason to let the person know that they might die from that single shot.

Now I know that that example is a bit for reaching for what we have here, but a similar principle applies. We were so worried about his & other's safety driving down the street, that we were too blinded to see that this dude competes, and as far as I know that in these competitions, the vehicles are stationary.

So in stepping down from my soap box, I'll leave my fellow F-150 brother's with this; if someone has a question just simply answer THAT question to the best of your ability. Good day Sir!
Old 12-29-2008, 10:16 AM

Dre,
Ricky used this opportunity to give his opinion on something the origional poster asked about. (I don't happen to agree with him either) You used this thread as an opportunity to give your opinion on how people should use the forum. I don't see an answer to the OP in you post either. Just an observation.

Customtronic,
I have not done this mod but as I'm thinking about it, I'm thinking you would have to shorten the back seat cusion so it has room to fold then use some type of piano hinge and latch system to make this work. I don't know your ability to fabricate but I can see how this could be done, especially since this is a show truck and I'm guessing you don't care about the comfort of the seat.

John
Old 12-29-2008, 12:18 PM

"Is it really any of our business what or why this is for"

Yes it is! think if your wife or child was lying hurt on the floor and the ambulance can not get to them in a timely manner.

I have been diving the fire truck to such calls when the family is screaming at me for not getting to them fast enough, they don't care that Someone is playing a sound system so load they could not hear me and the Windows are so dark they couldn't see my lights and I could not get around them. such sound systems when on the street do pose a safety issue.

If they are in a parking lot on display it is great but most of the people that have them use them going down the street.

The rear seat should unbolt very simply. unbolt it and remove it and you will have plenty of room for your speakers. The other question should be how are you going to run the speaker power cables.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:36 PM
J_Jones FX4

WTF this is funny!

Sorry customtronic I don't have an answer but I look forward to your post of the finished project when you figure out how to do it. Best of luck!

Quick Reply: Modify rear seat to fold down?