Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Misfire cylinder 4 curse

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 08:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Misfire cylinder 4 curse

So i have a misfire cylinder 4 thats driving me absolutely crazy, I changed my plugs coil packs or ignition coils (which ever name yall call them) spliced into the wires and put a new connector on for the coil pack. I even held the coil pack up with the plug in it while my buddy started my truck to make sure it was firing. So then i put a new injector on and its still misfiring. Idk what else to do, my buddys neighbor works for a dealership so we went by his house and hooked my truck up to his snap on ultra scanner and it couldnt even tell me the problem. He thinks it might be the cylinder is getting to much air as in the intake manifold gasket may have a leak by that cylinder thats letiing in to much air. Has anyone heard of this happening before? I have had the intake manifold completely unbolted ready to come off then ended up having it back together before i got it off cause of an emergency, thats why what he said sounds logical but i want to hear other peoples input also.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:41 AM
poopin.....on this thread

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

I fought the same issue with CYL2 and changed everything just like you did. Sounds crazy, but try clearing the code, turn the key to off, then unhook the battery without starting the truck. leave it off for a night and put it back on in the morning. My truck never had a noticable problem other than it kept giving me the code. So I think by clearing the code, and not driving it and pulling the batter off it made the computer forget that there was a problem.

This is by no means a scientific way to fix the problem, but it eliminated my code and I have never had a problem since.

When you put the plugs and new COPs on, did you put dielectric grease in them to ensure good connection? A plug can still fire without it, but its a much cleaner fire with the stuff on there.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by rubbinsracin
I fought the same issue with CYL2 and changed everything just like you did. Sounds crazy, but try clearing the code, turn the key to off, then unhook the battery without starting the truck. leave it off for a night and put it back on in the morning. My truck never had a noticable problem other than it kept giving me the code. So I think by clearing the code, and not driving it and pulling the batter off it made the computer forget that there was a problem.

This is by no means a scientific way to fix the problem, but it eliminated my code and I have never had a problem since.

When you put the plugs and new COPs on, did you put dielectric grease in them to ensure good connection? A plug can still fire without it, but its a much cleaner fire with the stuff on there.
No i didnt grease them, completely slipped my mind, im gonna try that when i get home today but its just crazy how this is turning out.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:48 AM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

Have you performed a compression test?
Old 02-12-2015, 09:52 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

turn the key to off, then unhook the battery without starting the truck. ??? WTF His buddy's code reader will clear the code from the computer...
Old 02-12-2015, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Doug06fx4screw
Have you performed a compression test?
I havent performed a compression test yet, thats what someone was just askin me this mornin at work. I need to do that cause this stutter taking off and at low rpm's is terrible. and yea my codes been cleaered several time battery and computer disconnected that aint doin nothin for me
Old 02-12-2015, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by techrep
turn the key to off, then unhook the battery without starting the truck. ??? WTF His buddy's code reader will clear the code from the computer...
I said it was a completely unscientific method. Maybe(most likely) it has nothing to do with it, but it worked for me. No need to jump peoples , Mark.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:54 PM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

I said it was a completely unscientific method. Maybe(most likely) it has nothing to do with it, but it worked for me. No need to jump peoples , Mark.
No...that's no it....read what you wrote ?? it don't make sense.. (:
Old 02-12-2015, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by techrep
No...that's no it....read what you wrote ?? it don't make sense.. (:

What about it does not make sense? Maybe I am a fool and not explaining myself correctly. I will break the steps out.

1. Turn key to ON position, clear code, disconnect tool.
2. Turn key to OFF position. Do not start the truck after code has been cleared.
3. Disconnect battery, leave overnight.
4. Reconnect Battery and go for a drive.

DISCLAIMER: This method is not scientific. In no way do I guarantee it will fix the problem. My thinking of disconnecting the battery immediately without starting is that if you leave it overnight it gives the computer time to, for lack of a better term and channeling my inner republican, unremember that there was a code there. I know that clearing the code with the scan tool should be enough, but again, I am just stating my similar problem was resolved by completing this exact step.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:25 PM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by betty_white
So i have a misfire cylinder 4 thats driving me absolutely crazy, I changed my plugs coil packs or ignition coils (which ever name yall call them) spliced into the wires and put a new connector on for the coil pack. I even held the coil pack up with the plug in it while my buddy started my truck to make sure it was firing. So then i put a new injector on and its still misfiring. Idk what else to do, my buddys neighbor works for a dealership so we went by his house and hooked my truck up to his snap on ultra scanner and it couldnt even tell me the problem. He thinks it might be the cylinder is getting to much air as in the intake manifold gasket may have a leak by that cylinder thats letiing in to much air. Has anyone heard of this happening before? I have had the intake manifold completely unbolted ready to come off then ended up having it back together before i got it off cause of an emergency, thats why what he said sounds logical but i want to hear other peoples input also.

As someone mentioned do a compression check and also a leakdown.

I have seen a few where the compression showed ok but the misfire was from a broken valve spring. You did not mention how many miles on it?

Quick Reply: Misfire cylinder 4 curse