Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

milky

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 01:34 PM
poopin.....on this thread

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Default milky

ok guys/gals

went to dump in my seafoam for a day or so before i changed my oil, and noticed that i have a TON of milky buildup on the filler cap and neck. made me a little scared to open climb up and look down to see if there is any build up on the rockers or anything.

i know it can be normal for some build up, especially because here in central nebraska we go from 20* in the morning to 70* in the afternoon daily for half of the year it seams.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:03 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

yes, it's normal. What kind of oil do you use? And personally , I would never put in any kind of oil additive. They work just as they say they do removing gunk and build up. But what do you think happens to all that crap it loosens up? Runs through ALL of your engine. Good ole carbon and sludge and build up running through every moving part, that's got to be good for it. Best way to clean up your engine is with a series of oil changes. Change it every five hundred miles with new filter and QUALITY oil. After three changes you will see a big difference. If in doubt try this. Get some grease on your hand. Then put some fresh oil on your hand and see just how well it cleans it off. That is why it SO important to change your oil and filter every three thousand miles.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:48 PM
poopin.....on this thread

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

only oil i run is mc 5w20 with a mc filter which i change ever 4k miles. i have ran seafoam through my motors before oil changes for a long time, in my street motors and race motors. i dont run it all the time, or even very long, just for a day or so before i change my oil. when i pull the race motors apart after a years worth of racing, it is clean as the day i built it. i figure if it works in my race motor it will work in my street motor.

also, when i buy a vehicle i make them change the oil while i watch, yeah i know its a dick move, then after 500 miles i change it again and if it looks really good i leave it. if it looks bad i run some seafoam and change it again. when i bought this truck the previous owner looked like he was on a 10k mile change schedule, because in the ford book it only showed oil changes ever 10k. i ended up changing it 4 times before i was happy. the last time i ran full bottle of seafoam for a week then changed it and it was good to go.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the oil is emulsified on the surface and the cap, no biggie. It can happen from frequent heat cycling (short drives) in cold weather.
If you pull the dipstick and see it is all emulsified then you probably have a blown head gasket and coolant is leaking into your oil
Old 11-05-2011, 09:39 PM
'08f150stx

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah the dreaded water/moisture in the crankcase. And it can be caused by driving short trips especially when the weather is cold, among other things. Where is the pcv on these trucks? Any type of crank case ventilation needs to be checked/cleaned/replaced. And take her for a nice drive once a week or so and heat that engine up.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:45 AM
Ford Man

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I asked tis same question a year ago and the overwhelming response was it is normal. I only see it in cold weather inside the filler cap and sometimes in the dipstick tube. I think the vapor condenses on cold parts like the plastic cap and dipstick tube.

The PCV valve is made into the drivers side valve cover and cannot be replaced by itself. I clean mine once a year with throttle body cleaner just before an oil change as well as the vacuum hoses.

Quick Reply: milky