Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Mickey Thompson ATZ Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mickey Thompson ATZ Problems

I wanted to see if anyone has had any issues with AT tires from Mickey Thompson. I purchased 4 285/70/R17's ATZ Plus Baja's and have issues getting them balanced. Two of the tires have alot of weight on them and all 4 of them are said to be out of round. I was told to take the tires to a Truck Tire Center to have them balanced after a regular tire center gave me my money back after they could not get them balanced on their dynamic balancing machine.
I took the tires to the Truck Tire Center and the performed a A MORE high performance balance than dynamic balancing and balanced the tire and wheel assembly on the tuck, on the hub. This attempts to balance the car's hub and brake rotor.
Well, they were forced to put the worst two tires in the rear,"the ones with all the weight on them". And they still could not get the front two tires worked out. When I go over 50MPH my steering wheel moves from left to right and will shake my arms. The Truck Tire Center tells me the only thing they can do for these tires to try to fix them is to get them Trued Up. I think this is a buch of BS. I do not think that any new "F"ing tires need to be trued up to make them right, or at least not tires this size. This is my first time buying these tires and I think I am about to go with a totally different tire. I just put a 2.5" leveling kit on the truck and I am thinking about going with the 295/70/R17 Nitto Grapplers on my stock rims. I do not want a loud tire.
P.S. I purchased these tires online. So now I am dealing with the online company sending me a new Mikey Thompson tire. They say they will keep sending me tires until I am happy. Not sure how that will work out. I have the right mind to buy 4 new tires from a local tire center and send the Mickey's back ASAP.

Has anyone else had any issues with Mickey Thompsons this size and type? I just want a bad *** set of tires on this truck that are not so loud that I cannot make a phone call while driving. I am also thinking of going with a larger size tire but I am not sure how big yet.
I am not a happy camper today. WTF
Old 02-27-2008, 09:48 AM

Are they blem's?

Last edited by ZV 5.4L; 02-27-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Driver carries no money.

My Bro-in-law has the exact size and model MT ATZ tire on his '03 with no problems whatsoever! Who did you buy them from?
Old 02-27-2008, 10:37 AM

after working at a shop i can tell you them bigger tires are a pain in the *** to get right... but if they are out of round, forget it! get new tires... i would just have them keep sending you new ones of they are willing!
Old 02-27-2008, 10:48 AM

Yes, Blems.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:48 AM

Jordan Tire
Old 02-27-2008, 10:54 AM

Yes, so far the company is working with me really well. The day that I called them to speak with them about this they sent me a new tire that day. I should get it today. They are even going to reimburse me for the expense of getting the 5th tire mounted and balanced. They said they would keep sending me tires until I was happy. I just do not understand how that is a profitable situation for them. That is what I am so concerned about.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:03 AM

Received 107 Likes on 18 Posts

Just sounds like a bad set. The replacements should be much better.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:54 PM

it might not be profittable. but if its a big company, reputation and customer relations means more money in the future

Quick Reply: Mickey Thompson ATZ Problems