Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Metal on Metal squeek solved

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 09:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Metal on Metal squeek solved

Every time for about a month now when I would start my truck and put it in gear a metal on metal squeak would develop but only last for a minute or two. I thought it was something with the 4wd because everyone is having problems with the IWE. I tested the 4wd on jack stands and all was well. The catch was it would only squeak when it was in gear and when I lifted my foot off of the throttle. I could rev the engine all day long with out replicating the noise in neutral and moving/or stopped but as soon as I placed it into gear the noise would develop again and then go away after a couple of minutes. Sort of like a part that moves when the truck is in gear only. I finally was washing my truck the other day and made the noise by rocking it while standing on the rear tire. I had my wife rock the truck back and forth while I searched for the noise. It turns out the exhaust pipe was rubbing the skid plate that protects the transfer case. I took the skid plate off and no noise. So I took a grinder to the skid plate where it was making the noise and ta-da, quite once again. What a relief.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:29 AM

Received 521 Likes on 293 Posts

Always good to be able to track those annoying problems down
Old 08-09-2012, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the squeak

Congrats on finding and fixing it. I am a new owner of a used 08 SCrew FX4 and am trying my best to isolate a similar squeak. Just haven't had lots of time to do so. Fingers crossed its not a destructive squeak.

TX Medic
Old 08-09-2012, 06:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TX Medic
Congrats on finding and fixing it. I am a new owner of a used 08 SCrew FX4 and am trying my best to isolate a similar squeak. Just haven't had lots of time to do so. Fingers crossed its not a destructive squeak.

TX Medic
Good luck

Quick Reply: Metal on Metal squeek solved