Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Mechanic says I need a new engine.. 04f150

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Mechanic says I need a new engine.. 04f150

First off, hello. I've been browsing this forum over the past few days, trying to find similar issues to mine, and now I'm questioning my mechanic's opinion..

His advice: Replace engine because it's sludged up and this has caused the timing chain to get eaten up. He says he doesn't think cleaning it will help.

Truck history: I am the 2nd owner of the truck, so i can't attest to how regular the oil was changed prior to my ownership but while I have owned it, the oil has been changed every `~5k miles, except for one time it was stretched to about 8k. I have always had the "diesel ticking sound" since I purchased it. Everyone said "that's just the way they sound", which from reading on here, it doesn't seem like I should have accepted that answer (hindsight 20-20).

Beginning of the issue: The truck started having issues (mild jumping, like it was missing) at idle and low RPMS, 1800 and lower and I immediately took it to the mechanic. He hooked it up and the error code that he received led him to believe that it was the cam sensor. He replaced it, felt confident that had fixed it, and sent me on my way. Less than 2 hours later, I brought it back. This did not fix the issue. They popped the valve covers, said the engine was horribly sludged, and the timing chain chewed up, and said I need a replacement engine.

Where I am: I am wondering if this is truly the only solution. after looking at
http://tinyurl.com/k4thux4 (don't worry, it links to a post on this forum, tinyurl just looks cleaner)
and
http://tinyurl.com/f150sludge
I am hoping that I can get out of this situation without having to drop 5300 into a rebuilt engine. {this price is engine, labor, and tax}

Now I know that I have probably not supplied enough information, I am not a mechanic, I am a computer guy with less than shade-tree knowledge of automotive mechanics. So what other information do I need to add to recieve thoughts and opinions from you mechanic savvy folks?

Pictures of the sludge? {Pictures are below} Error Codes? I can try to obtain what you ask for and edit it in here.

Thank you so much if you took the time to read this, I know it's a large bit of text.

Last edited by omzo; 08-07-2013 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Clarifications and Pictures
Old 08-06-2013, 08:36 PM

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by omzo
First off, hello. I've been browsing this forum over the past few days, trying to find similar issues to mine, and now I'm questioning my mechanic's opinion..

His advice: Replace engine because it's sludged up and this has caused the timing chain to get eaten up. He says he doesn't think cleaning it will help.

Truck history: I am the 2nd owner of the truck, so i can't attest to how regular the oil was changed prior to my ownership but while I have owned it, the oil has been changed every `~5k miles, except for one time it was stretched to about 8k. I have always had the "diesel ticking sound" since I purchased it. Everyone said "that's just the way they sound", which from reading on here, it doesn't seem like I should have accepted that answer (hindsight 20-20).

Beginning of the issue: The truck started having issues (mild jumping, like it was missing) at idle and low RPMS, 1800 and lower and I immediately took it to the mechanic. He hooked it up and the error code that he received led him to believe that it was the cam sensor. He replaced it, felt confident that had fixed it, and sent me on my way. Less than 2 hours later, I brought it back. This did not fix the issue. They popped the valve covers, said the engine was horribly sludged, and the timing chain chewed up, and said I need a replacement engine.

Where I am: I am wondering if this is truly the only solution. after looking at
http://tinyurl.com/k4thux4 (don't worry, it links to a post on this forum, tinyurl just looks cleaner)
and
http://tinyurl.com/f150sludge
I am hoping that I can get out of this situation without having to drop 5300 into a rebuilt engine.

Now I know that I have probably not supplied enough information, I am not a mechanic, I am a computer guy with less than shade-tree knowledge of automotive mechanics. So what other information do I need to add to recieve thoughts and opinions from you mechanic savvy folks?

Pictures of the sludge? Error Codes? I can try to obtain what you ask for and edit it in here.

Thank you so much if you took the time to read this, I know it's a large bit of text.
$5,300 is a lot for a rebuilt engine. It's difficult to say whether your sludge issue would warranty a complete engine rebuild. But if the timing chain wore into the other parts to the point where there is irrepairable damage, then a new shortblock may be the way to go. I can't imagine that you would have extensive damage to the pistons, connecting rods, crankshaft etc. due to the sludge issue. However, I could be wrong as I haven't seen it.

I would take it to another shop or upload some pics for further help. Oh, and welcome to forums and hope you stick around.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:20 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Definitely get a second opinion if you can. That's alot of cash to drop!
Old 08-07-2013, 12:38 AM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Dude, you could get a rebuilt from ford direct or jasper for way cheaper. Either that or rebuild the one you have. I got quoted 5300 for a brand spankin new engine labor included by the dealership. Someone is taking advantage of you. Would like to see the sludge they are referring to.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:52 AM
King Lariat

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

Rebuilding an engine that's been sludged is a massive pain in the ***. Just pop the heads and take a peek at what it truly looks like. Otherwise drop in a new one.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:18 AM
Mark

Received 2,415 Likes on 2,116 Posts

agree on the second opinion...
Old 08-07-2013, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tradesman
$5,300 is a lot for a rebuilt engine. It's difficult to say whether your sludge issue would warranty a complete engine rebuild. But if the timing chain wore into the other parts to the point where there is irrepairable damage, then a new shortblock may be the way to go. I can't imagine that you would have extensive damage to the pistons, connecting rods, crankshaft etc. due to the sludge issue. However, I could be wrong as I haven't seen it.

I would take it to another shop or upload some pics for further help. Oh, and welcome to forums and hope you stick around.
I have similar issue dipstick had slight sign of sludge and rough idle at same rpm's ford guy said it was worn valve guide probably due to poor spark plug change. The repair was going to be around $3000 but he said you still have an old engine,I have to get new or rebuilt engine one day or until it gives up . I'm in Canada and nothing up here is cheap $5300. would be a deal up here my quote was $7000 for rebuilt and $10,000 + from ford. Good luck.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:45 PM

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

What is the engine size and how many miles are on it?
Pictures would be nice also.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tradesman

Thank you for your response and welcome . I should have clarified the 5300, that's for the complete jasper engine as well as labor to pull my current engine and put in the jasper. I spent some time at the shop yesterday, talking to the mechanic, and he let me see under one side of the valve covers and I got some pictures that I'll upload following this. The pictures aren't that good but maybe it will help.

The only damage that they've found has been with the timing chain. The top guide is partially broken, so I would need to get a new assembly for sure and probably new VCT solenoids. I'm hoping that we can replace that and clean the sludge.

here's the pictures

Mechanic says I need a new engine.. 04f150-mfbbyrd.jpg

Mechanic says I need a new engine.. 04f150-9wr086e.jpg

Mechanic says I need a new engine.. 04f150-2bg7vfx.jpg

The pictures aren't that great but that was the best I could get when I was there.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by 13Harleyfan
What is the engine size and how many miles are on it?
Pictures would be nice also.
it's a 5.4 3v 5vin engine, with 114k on it

Quick Reply: Mechanic says I need a new engine.. 04f150