Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Map Light Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lightbulb Map Light Issue

Hello,

I have a 2004 F150 where the dome and map lights worked fine. I took down the dome light unit, replaced bulbs with LED bulbs, and then re-installed the unit to the ceiling. Now, the dome light works fine still, with the roller switch on the dash, and when the doors are open, but, the map lights do not turn on at all, the switches on the dome light unit do nothing.

I checked fuse #24(Battery saver for on demand lamps), and it was blown. I replaced it with a new fuse.

I still have the same exact issue though. Anyone have any further thoughts? I've searched tirelessly online and have not found any solutions.

The bulbs are good I checked for continuity. My voltmeter is in my RV which is in winter storage 3hrs away so I have not been able to check for voltage at the map lights.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:17 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

Most led's have to be installed one way. Try taking them out, turning them 180, and reinstall. See if that works.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by lewissa81
Most led's have to be installed one way. Try taking them out, turning them 180, and reinstall. See if that works.
Thanks for the tip. So i tried this, i also put the original non LED bulbs back in, same issue. Still stuck with non working map lights.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:55 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

Have you tried reseating the wiring connector?
Old 11-29-2015, 10:04 PM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Last edited by Toshbar; 11-29-2015 at 10:05 PM. Reason: delete
Old 11-29-2015, 11:33 PM

I am having same issue on my 2012 Lariat. Replace stock bulbs yesterday and had worked on it off and on all day today today. Bulbs work fine when I open door, with key fob, or turn on lights with dimmer switch. Will not work at all when I try to turn them on individually. Really bright when they come on, disappointing that don't work individually.

Also replace cargo, tag lights, reverse lights. They all work fine, no issues.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by lewissa81
Have you tried reseating the wiring connector?
I'm sorry but what do you mean by reseating the wiring connector? If you simply mean unplugging the white connector that connects to the dome/map light unit and reconnecting it, then yes several times.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:14 AM

So I did a little more digging on the internet, and I see that in addition to the batter saver fuse, which is replaced, there is another fuse in location #1 called Instrument Cluster(10A). I tested all fuses in the entire box with a test light, but I know those test lights aren't 100%, so tonight I will pull out fuse #1 and replace it and see what happens. I'll update results tomorrow.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:29 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

By chance, did you swap out your cluster lately? I wrote a thread a long while back of cluster swaps; in an XL or STX, using a lariat, FX2/FX4 cluster would cause the interior lamps to not work.

Either that, or your existing cluster is causing the interior lights to fail.

Yes, I know this will sound srange, but it was experienced when these cluster swaps took place during my testing.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bucko
By chance, did you swap out your cluster lately? I wrote a thread a long while back of cluster swaps; in an XL or STX, using a lariat, FX2/FX4 cluster would cause the interior lamps to not work.

Either that, or your existing cluster is causing the interior lights to fail.

Yes, I know this will sound srange, but it was experienced when these cluster swaps took place during my testing.
Hi Bucko,

I have not replaced my cluster, but it is on my to-do list! I picked out a nice one that is on my Amazon wish-list. Haha. I just found a forum elsewhere where the instrument cluster fuse somehow resolved the map light issue for another F150 owner, although it was not an '04, it was an earlier model.

One additional question I have for you all though, I see there is a battery saver fuse, which I replaced, but then I see a lot of mention of a battery saver relay. Are these one in the same? If it is in fact an actual relay, then what position in the fuse box is it located in, and how can I reset it(or close it if its open or vice versa) or would i need to replace it with a new one?

Quick Reply: Map Light Issue