Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Major buffing and refinishing project. Tips anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major buffing and refinishing project. Tips anyone??

I am planning to start a huge aesthetic overhaul for my black 2004 FX4 supercab. There are very visible swirl marks and minor scratches everywhere. I want to buff these all out myself so the results are permanent. Black makes these marks even more visible, so I do not want to be constantly re-applying synthetic solutions. I am also planning to paint all of the plastic trim pieces with rustoleum black plastic trim paint, including the fender trim, windshield cowl, bed caps, and maybe the handles as well. I plan to have all of these pieces removed when buffing. I also intend on replacing the badges for 09-11 ones too This is a huge undertaking for me, and I want the results to last. Are there any body and paint people here or anyone who has done this before who can spare me some important steps and/or tips? Also, when I purchased the truck used, there was a slight peeling of the paint just below the fuel filler. Is there a way to apply a small amount of oem paint an buff it to match correctly?
Old 03-05-2012, 09:29 PM

I as well have a black truck that is weathered and you are correct....black shows all....including bad wax jobs lol so any proffesonal advice would be great...for both of us. I was wonderig if just a quick once over paint job would be worth it maybe cheaper since it wouldnt be color change nor door jams...good luck
Old 03-05-2012, 10:02 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Google/YouTube turtle wax black box kit, I did it to my wife's rouge and it's amazing. It's long process but worth it
Old 03-07-2012, 06:31 PM

A buddy and I used the black box kit on his truck, but in this wild nebraska weather, it only lasted about 3 weeks.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:56 PM

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Meguiars Clay bar kit to remove the dirt, then meguiars ultimate compound to remove the swirls, then meguiars ultimate wax, then to keep it looking good meguiars utilmate detailer.... I did this on my previous vehicle that was black and it always looked "wet"....

Can you tell I like Meguiars...truly some of the best stuff out there......
Old 03-07-2012, 08:24 PM

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Keep a spray bottle with some water to keep your polish wet.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:07 PM

@07_F150_XLT_SCab....I used the mothers clay kit on it a few months ago, then followed it with meguires techwax 2.0. the wax is long gone, but I was wondering, how did you apply the compound? I thought a electric buffer (not the orbital buffer) would do the trick with firm pressure to apply it with. What does anyone else have suggestions?

Last edited by blk04fx4; 03-09-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:21 PM
swazispencer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

First off, Do not use Armor All or Turtle Wax. They are horrible products. I used to detail cars professionally so I know what I'm talking about.

If I didnt have all the tools and buffers and chemicals and training to get this job done, I would call a detailer. Buffing your paint incorrectly can lead to burning your paint, burning your lenses, or adding buffing swirls.

If you have a good idea of how to polish, I would wash it, clay it, and buff it with a good compound and medium cut pad. Follow it up with a finishing polish and a finishing pad. After that, apply a couple thin coats of a nice carnuba wax.

Make sure when buffing to let the polisher do the work. At first you may want to apply a little pressure to work the chemical into the paint and keep it from flinging. Work the polisher in small sections like 2' x 2'.

Also, just remember that every car in the world has swirls. Black is just one of those colors that shows them off. But black in my opinion is one of the most beautiful luxurious colors a car could have. The beat way to avoid swirls and oxidation, is frequent waxing. I suggest a teflon wax. It's legit.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:35 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by swazispencer
First off, Do not use Armor All or Turtle Wax. They are horrible products. I used to detail cars professionally so I know what I'm talking about.

If I didnt have all the tools and buffers and chemicals and training to get this job done, I would call a detailer. Buffing your paint incorrectly can lead to burning your paint, burning your lenses, or adding buffing swirls.

If you have a good idea of how to polish, I would wash it, clay it, and buff it with a good compound and medium cut pad. Follow it up with a finishing polish and a finishing pad. After that, apply a couple thin coats of a nice carnuba wax.

Make sure when buffing to let the polisher do the work. At first you may want to apply a little pressure to work the chemical into the paint and keep it from flinging. Work the polisher in small sections like 2' x 2'.

Also, just remember that every car in the world has swirls. Black is just one of those colors that shows them off. But black in my opinion is one of the most beautiful luxurious colors a car could have. The beat way to avoid swirls and oxidation, is frequent waxing. I suggest a teflon wax. It's legit.
Yea I worked at a few detail shops too and theres some great "shop use only products" but the black box is also "legit" for black paint

Quick Reply: Major buffing and refinishing project. Tips anyone??