Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Maintenance after buying a used truck...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 09:39 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Maintenance after buying a used truck...

It's always fun picking up where the previous owner left off, when buying a used truck. I recently bought a 2007 F150 XLT SCREW 4x4 Triton V8 3V with 73K miles on it. From looking at the truck, all I could tell is the previous owner had replaced the brake pads at some point and dealer changed the oil, using conventional 5w-20. So..... I did the following:
  • Ran a bottle of Techron through a tank of gas
  • Replaced the plugs and coils (fun times!)
  • Replaced all rotors and pads
  • Replaced transmission filter and flushed system
  • Replaced oil with full synthetic and MC filter (going to run it for 3K miles and replace it again. Then, switch to 5k intervals.
  • Cleaned the MAF sensor
  • Replaced air filter with K&N filter
Any other suggestions out there? I plan on doing a coolant flush and differential service around 100K.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:39 AM
Mark

Received 2,413 Likes on 2,114 Posts

Fuel filter
Clean throttle body
check your FPDM
replace brake fluid (if you did not when you did the brakes)
change rear / front diff oil
T-case drain and fill
I would not wait on the diff's you never know what the previous onwer was into...

That should keep you busy for awhile..
The following users liked this post:
barriosman (10-18-2013)
Old 10-18-2013, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by techrep
Fuel filter
Clean throttle body
check your FPDM
replace brake fluid (if you did not when you did the brakes)
change rear / front diff oil
T-case drain and fill
I would not wait on the diff's you never know what the previous onwer was into...

That should keep you busy for awhile..
Yeah..and broke! I forgot to list the fuel filter. I did that on the first oil change. I will add the others to my list. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:07 AM
Mark

Received 2,413 Likes on 2,114 Posts

Your welcome...then you will have a great base line...
Old 10-18-2013, 01:25 PM

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

I am trying to do this with my "new" 2010 I just got the other day. Problem is there is no fuel filter to change. They put it in the gas tank, starting in 09 I believe I have seen people say that modern gas doesn't clog up your filter, but what about the capless tanks we have? Haven't tackled the plugs yet as it is purring like a kitten. If it aint broke, I guess you don't fix it. I have just shy of 90k miles, should I be concerned with differential and tranny fluid? The previous owner was an elderly man and drove it gently and never used the 4x4.

Thanks, MP>
Old 10-18-2013, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by mptoledo
I am trying to do this with my "new" 2010 I just got the other day. Problem is there is no fuel filter to change. They put it in the gas tank, starting in 09 I believe I have seen people say that modern gas doesn't clog up your filter, but what about the capless tanks we have? Haven't tackled the plugs yet as it is purring like a kitten. If it aint broke, I guess you don't fix it. I have just shy of 90k miles, should I be concerned with differential and tranny fluid? The previous owner was an elderly man and drove it gently and never used the 4x4.

Thanks, MP>
I changed the plugs at 73K because my truck is a 3V 5.4 Triton. Pain in the *** to change! Most of the time a few of the plugs brake off when removing them. I wouldn't think your diff needs serviced yet, but others might disagree. If you don't think the original owner submersed it in water, you are probably ok.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:54 PM

Received 87 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by mptoledo

Thanks, MP>

Are you referring to the fuel filter or fuel pump? Seems kind of odd that they would move a filter there.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:55 PM

Disregard my previous post. Apparently it is in the gas tank. Just another thing the average person will have to pay to have done that should be a $15 5 minute job.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:57 PM

Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts

Naw there in the tank i believe, their "lifetime" filters. Bull in my opinion. Just more money for ford to make when they need to be replaced
Old 10-18-2013, 05:59 PM

The same gas goes in 2010+ that goes in my 2004 and my filter was pretty dirty/nasty when I changed mine at 57k miles. Not sure whether the PO changed it before or not. So I cannot see their logic.....

Quick Reply: Maintenance after buying a used truck...