Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Magnaflow Tru-X Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnaflow Tru-X Muffler

Wow there is a lot of info here on exhausts... nevertheless, after searching and reading about exhaust options for hours over the weekend (never thought i'd say that), I am in need of advice.

My new to me truck is an 08 5.4 and had dual exhaust when I got it. Its true duals, they cut the factory Y pipe after the cats and ran both down the passenger side. It has an x pipe a few feet down, then two short glasspacks. The truck sounds great for a while, but the drone inside is just terrible.

I am looking to make it a bit more mild, however I would like to avoid a complete rebuild of the system. My thought? Cut out the glasspacks and install a DIDO Magnaflow in their place. The pipes are installed at the perfect width to do this and would be much cheaper $100 vs. 5-600.

My only concern is that the Magnaflow DIDO has the built in X-Pipe, but I already have an X-Pipe further up the system. Is this a problem? What could be potential side effects of having, in effect, two X-pipes?

Also, would going to a 18 or 22" long Magnaflow DIDO help much to reduce the noise and drone? Thanks!

And typing DIDO looks inappropriate at first glance haha.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:38 PM
Magnaflow Tech Line

Hello!
In general if we design a system like you are describing for street we would put a dual-in dual-out muffler where your x-pipe is located and we would not use any additional mufflers past that point.

For reference:
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=all&id=5506

If you use this style configuration it may reduce some of the noise you are having. Removing the glass packs in combination should mellow it down.

Feel free to call our techline if you have any additional questions about your Magnaflow products.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:07 AM

Let me try one more time to see if anyone else has any input. I'm not trying to add an additional muffler, what I want to do is remove the glasspacks that are there and install the Magnaflow 12468 in it's place.

My concern is that by doing this I would in theory have two X-pipes... the one up at the front, and then the internal one inside the muffler. Would this cause any performance or other issues?

The only reason I was thinking this muffler is because its one of the few DIDOs that I can even find out there (and all of the DIDOs seem to have the built in x-pipe). The pipes are set up perfectly spaced for me to install it. Here is a link to a picture for reference https://www.f150forum.com/members/08...77868-exhaust/
Old 09-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Black & Chrome

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want to use the Magnaflow DIDO, following the advise from above would be your best bet since you are looking to tone it down with respect to the drone.

Remove the X pipe that is currently there and replace it with the Magnaflow.
Remove the glass packs and replace them with straight pipe to mellow the sound.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 14in DIDO Magnaflow and I'm very satisfied, absolutely no drone in my cab, I can't hear it when I'm driving on the expressway, but a good roar comes out when I start pressing on the pedal.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow Tru-X Muffler