Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

LS what's the point?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS what's the point?

LS seems to work fairly well when traction is the same for both tires and weight distrubution is about equal. I was on ice with one tire and dry asphalt with the other. I couldn't get it to move. I didn't have much time to experiment so I put it into 4wd and got going but acted like an open readend under these conditions. I did try to add a little brake (foot) didn't take the time to try the parking brake. I think when the rear end starts to chatter I'll go with something that locks up. I am thinking a trutrac. might as wel just have an open readend as a Ford LS. yes It is has a LS according to the axle code.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunderslide
LS seems to work fairly well when traction is the same for both tires and weight distrubution is about equal. I was on ice with one tire and dry asphalt with the other. I couldn't get it to move. I didn't have much time to experiment so I put it into 4wd and got going but acted like an open readend under these conditions. I did try to add a little brake (foot) didn't take the time to try the parking brake. I think when the rear end starts to chatter I'll go with something that locks up. I am thinking a trutrac. might as wel just have an open readend as a Ford LS. yes It is has a LS according to the axle code.
I had a non-LS from the factory on my 06 SCrew. Stuck all the time in the mud. I yanked that out and put in an Auburn Auto Cross Limited Slip and I can get out of anywhere. Even if 1 tire is in the air, the other will always turn (don't know about ice, I'm in Southern Texas). I know this Diff is to aid in road racing/cornering, which I don't do in my truck, but it made sense for my application of getting out the texas gumbo mud. Hope this helps!

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrai...5589&t_pl=9663
Old 01-25-2010, 03:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't find one for my axle.(didn't look too hard.) how does it corner in street driving applications? as for ice imagine something so slick you could be blown across it with shoes on while not moving your feet.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunderslide
I didn't find one for my axle.(didn't look too hard.) how does it corner in street driving applications? as for ice imagine something so slick you could be blown across it with shoes on while not moving your feet.
Yea, the site doesnt have our axle, but they make it for it cuz its in my truck. Lol. It corners awesome in street driving (concrete/asphalt), sling shotting you through the turn. The inside tire wants to "bark" on smooth surfaces (parking garages) but again, nothing negative on everyday streets. The Texas Gumbo Clay is as slick as ice when its wet. Ask anyone in Texas, that is our "ice". Plus that Auburn is rated up to 600+ HP. Can't go wrong with that + future upgrades
Old 01-25-2010, 05:10 PM

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Yes Texas gunk is slick as ice and a pain in the ***** to clean up if you let it dry!!

Quick Reply: LS what's the point?