Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Lower Intake IMRC/CMCV problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 05:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Lower Intake IMRC/CMCV problems?

How hard is it to remove the lower intake on the 5.4L 3V? I dont think my IMRC/CMCV is working correctly. The engine really struggles in the higher RPM range, feel like its trying to go but just making alot of noise and not going anywhere, like the engine cant breathe good in the higher rpms (past 3-4K) The engine has ok power when your just driving around town, but if you are on the highway or trying to pass someone on a 2 lane road, if you put the throttle to the floor, it really struggles to pick up speed. I have read some posts about the IMRC not opening or shutting and can cause power issues. I dont have a check engine light and lots of parts have been replaced and i have cleaned the TB and MAF. Has anyone removed the lower intake, it looks like you have remove the lower intake to get to the IMRC controller.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:28 PM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Relentless85
How hard is it to remove the lower intake on the 5.4L 3V? I dont think my IMRC/CMCV is working correctly. The engine really struggles in the higher RPM range, feel like its trying to go but just making alot of noise and not going anywhere, like the engine cant breathe good in the higher rpms (past 3-4K) The engine has ok power when your just driving around town, but if you are on the highway or trying to pass someone on a 2 lane road, if you put the throttle to the floor, it really struggles to pick up speed. I have read some posts about the IMRC not opening or shutting and can cause power issues. I dont have a check engine light and lots of parts have been replaced and i have cleaned the TB and MAF. Has anyone removed the lower intake, it looks like you have remove the lower intake to get to the IMRC controller.
This is from a 2004?
Old 08-07-2012, 07:05 PM

Yes 2004 5.4L 3V with 3.73 gears if that makes a difference in the power on the high side.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:53 PM

I just got through trying to test if the CMCV is working. I started the engine and reached my hand to the rear of the lower intake to where the CMCV box is, i had my wife rev the engine past 3K (which from what I have read, the valves should open past 3K RPM) and I did not feel the control box move. I had her put it to the floor and they still did not move.

Does anyone know if they are not supposed to move while the truck is not moving, or do they just open when the truck is moving and you get the RPM's up past 3K?

I was reading my haynes manual, and it looks like a big job to remove the lower intake manifold
Old 08-26-2015, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Relentless85
I just got through trying to test if the CMCV is working. I started the engine and reached my hand to the rear of the lower intake to where the CMCV box is, i had my wife rev the engine past 3K (which from what I have read, the valves should open past 3K RPM) and I did not feel the control box move. I had her put it to the floor and they still did not move.

Does anyone know if they are not supposed to move while the truck is not moving, or do they just open when the truck is moving and you get the RPM's up past 3K?

I was reading my haynes manual, and it looks like a big job to remove the lower intake manifold
Did you ever resolve the issue ?
Old 08-26-2015, 02:34 PM
Mark

Received 2,415 Likes on 2,116 Posts

Originally Posted by tyguy1
Did you ever resolve the issue ?
That was 3 years ago dude.... got to look at the post date.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by techrep
That was 3 years ago dude.... got to look at the post date.
Well no kidding .... I was hoping he could give me some info. I wasnt fishing for somebody to state the obvious , thanks anyways captin.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:54 PM
Mark

LOL... you expect to get an answer on a 3 year old post you dug up... stupid
Old 08-26-2015, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by techrep
LOL... you expect to get an answer on a 3 year old post you dug up... stupid
Lol bud rep some techs els where.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:58 PM
Mark

Yeah...that's what I'll do...lol

Quick Reply: Lower Intake IMRC/CMCV problems?