Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Lower end Tick/Knock/Squeek

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower end Tick/Knock/Squeek

Hello Everyone,
I have an 04 F150 with the 5.4 in it. I know all about the cam phaser tick in these motors so before anyone comments or says anything, that is not my issue. My issue began a week or so ago, an annoying tick in the lower end that increases in speed as the rpms increase. it doesn't matter if the vehicle is under load or just in park idling. im pretty sure its coming from the oil pan or the bell housing where the flexplate bolts to the torque converter. I noticed a wet spot on the bottom of the dust cover that covers the torque converter bolts which leads me to believe I had a crappy rear main seal. the motor and bottom end in this pickup was rebuilt in 2012 because it was tipped on its side and all the oil ran out. we used an 06 block and rebuilt on that. so im pretty stumped as to what the hell this noise is. I have attached a couple of videos for reference. I have checked all the accessories on the belt drive so I know that's not it. I pulled the cover for the torwue converter and sprayed all the torque converter bolts/converter itself with penetrating oil and nothing changed so im pretty sure its coming from inside the oil pan.

here are the links to the videos from the pickup, I couldn't upload the videos right to this site because there is a 4.77MB max limit on data.

Quick Reply: Lower end Tick/Knock/Squeek