Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Low Oil Pressure 2004 5.4

Old 01-11-2012, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Low Oil Pressure 2004 5.4

My truck will turn over and start but imediatly dies and a low oil pressure sighal comes up.When 1st noticed I was idoling for about 5 minutes and started to die gave it gas and drove it home no problem. Quickly got worse. Oil level was OK. Is it possible that it is Oil pressure switch or even a clogged oil Filter ?

Last edited by radding42; 01-11-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:03 PM
s_vares

Received 430 Likes on 84 Posts

I would hook up a manual guage, or if the sending unit is cheap enough, swap it out.

If that still shows low oil change the filter and oil. (should not be the case as it should have a bypass valve)

Just dont run it long like this. Just long enough to see if you have pressure (5 seconds or so)

Good luck
Old 01-11-2012, 02:32 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by s_vares
I would hook up a manual guage, or if the sending unit is cheap enough, swap it out.

If that still shows low oil change the filter and oil. (should not be the case as it should have a bypass valve)

Just dont run it long like this. Just long enough to see if you have pressure (5 seconds or so)

Good luck
Oil pressure sending unit is less than 10 bucks and easy to replace. I would try that and If that doesn't solve it go the route of an oil pressure gauge to confirm of you have an oil pump issue
Old 01-13-2012, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by radding42
My truck will turn over and start but imediatly dies and a low oil pressure sighal comes up.When 1st noticed I was idoling for about 5 minutes and started to die gave it gas and drove it home no problem. Quickly got worse. Oil level was OK. Is it possible that it is Oil pressure switch or even a clogged oil Filter ?
have had the same problem with my 06 5.4 a few times but not recently. it would die on crank up and say low oil pressure but everything would check out ok!?!?! thanks for asking it helped me i am gonna start with my sending unit!
Old 01-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Certified Ford Technician

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If the low pressure comes on after the truck dies it's normal. You only need to worry if it comes on while it's running. The truck cutting out is a whole nother ball of wax. If it was shutting off from no oil pressure it would be noisy and the light would come on before the truck died. So if the first sentence applies I would look elsewhere maybe the MAF, clean the throttle body, or check Idle Air Control valve on the throttle body.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low Oil Pressure 2004 5.4