Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

low idle then stalls out

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question low idle then stalls out

first of all hello guys i have a 05 f150 5.4 3v that had the known phaser ticking noise so i changed out the timing chain ,guides,tensioners & phasers wile i had the valve covers off decided to look at my rocker arms and some where bad so i changed them all and the lash adjusters as well assembled everything back truck runs good really quiet idles really good but when u put into gear it idles really low and sometimes it even dies i looked everything over and didnt find anything loose or disconnected and it isn't trowing any codes so ????? im pretty lost
Old 02-19-2015, 06:41 PM
F150 Forum

Received 546 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by jesse!!1
first of all hello guys i have a 05 f150 5.4 3v that had the known phaser ticking noise so i changed out the timing chain ,guides,tensioners & phasers wile i had the valve covers off decided to look at my rocker arms and some where bad so i changed them all and the lash adjusters as well assembled everything back truck runs good really quiet idles really good but when u put into gear it idles really low and sometimes it even dies i looked everything over and didnt find anything loose or disconnected and it isn't trowing any codes so ????? im pretty lost
This sounds like there could be another mechanical issue that needs to be addressed. If something was not put back together correctly there could be a vacuum leak or something else like the timing being slightly off.

Keep in mind replacing all of the timing components will buy some some time, but will not permanently solve the well known cam phaser failure all of the 3 valve modular engines are plagued with. If you end up having to do any further tear down to inspect the timing, I would strongly suggest to install our cam phaser noise repair kit to lock out the phasers. This is still the only permanent solution for the 3v engines phaser issue, and saves thosands of dollars on unnecessary repairs.

We get calls all day long with horror stories of how people are on their 2nd or 3rd time around with these vehicles timing components. New timing set, VCT solenoids , new phasers , and the issue just keeps coming back no matter what. Then they install our kit and never touch it again.

Here is a link to our kit and more information on this issue as well.
http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...epair-Kit.html

Old 02-19-2015, 08:20 PM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

Did you do the battery relearn process afterwards? If not, how long since you did the work? When doing mine, I did not do the battery relearn process and it did stall a few times until the pcm relearned everything, for mine, that took a few days. I have since learned and do the relearn process everytime when I reconnect the battery.
The following users liked this post:
jesse!!1 (02-21-2015)
Old 02-21-2015, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no i didnt do a relearn process how exactly do i do it ?? and just did the work about 3 days ago have maybe put 20 miles on it since then
Old 02-21-2015, 05:57 PM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by jesse!!1
no i didnt do a relearn process how exactly do i do it ?? and just did the work about 3 days ago have maybe put 20 miles on it since then

Look at the first page of this forum under "Stop, look here" and there is a link to the relearn process. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Quick Reply: low idle then stalls out