Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Low compression after timing chain replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low compression after timing chain replacement

Hey guys I am new but I searched some threads on low compression and on the cam phases. My truck currently has 140k. On her and into the last 4 months it started sounding like a diesel engine and the check engine light came on saying the cam sensors. Just changed the senors then a week later light came on and said retared timing on bank 1. Saw a local mechanic and he said it was timing chain.. so he replace the timing chains, Cam phases, tensioner(1 tensioner arms was broken in half but still in place), oil pump, while he was there he suggested the water pump too. Then while putting her back together he said it need to spark plugs and coil pack springs. Replace those... then on start up he said it ran fine went to pick it up and it stated it up and there was a rough idle. And it felt very sliggish... Light came on turning into the shop. He said it had a injector issue.. I believe he said it #4 ,7 injection was open. He checked the injectors 1 wasn't he plugged back in. The other he said was working fine. He said he need a day or 2 to recheck everything. Left it there to investigate. ... came back with the motor has low compression and it my be the piston or a bent valve.. should I have him investigate further or take it to dealer to have them take a look into it?
Old 03-17-2016, 07:08 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

So..he did a compression test on all the cylinders ?
Old 03-17-2016, 10:34 AM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

He timed it wrong when he put it back together. Pistons and valves don't kiss otherwise.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:35 AM
Some guy

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,280 Posts

^^^ exactly
Old 03-19-2016, 07:34 PM

Hey people sorry for the late repost. As for a update Ithe mechanic told me it was actually #5,6 cylinder with low compression and that he still thinks it a head or valve problem he swears the timing is correct . He told he did do a compression test results are around 90 and the others are above 100. I asked did he a leak test and he kinda switched the conversation talking get about the injectors. Those injectors Inot those 2 cylinder might be bad too. He said they flow fuel but he said he not sure if it the right amount. Saying he's also getting mis fires from those 2 cylinders. I decided to take it to the dealer for a 2nd opinion. Sound like guessing a game from the mechanic and instead of throwing money at new part that might not fix the problem..
Old 03-19-2016, 07:40 PM
Some guy

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Definitely want to know what the dealer says. I'm not sure I trust that mechanic.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:30 AM

Final update! Got my truck back from the ford dealer. Timing was off! 4 sparks plugs werent screwed down all the way. 1 coil pack failed and 2 new sparks plus were bad. Replace all faults and while at the dealer they did 2 recalls and found 2 oil leaks from the oil filter adapter and oil pan. No bent valves or block damage. So after 1,487.27 from the parts and labor. My truck feels almost like brand new again. So I thank camelback Ford for bringer her back to life.

Quick Reply: Low compression after timing chain replacement