Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Low Budget Lift Kit & Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Budget Lift Kit & Wheels

Hey guys i'm a newbie to the forum here (which is great) and i've got some questions.

I just recently got a 2006 4X4 f-150 and i'm looking for a lift. Nothing crazy because this is my daily driver, but i still love to take her off-road for some fun. Thing is i need some more axle clearence and better tires, but i dont have too much money to spend. I've never lifted a truck before so i need some advice.

3'' body lift?
4'' lift?
6'' is the max i think i would go.

Should i look for a lift from the dealer or somewhere else?
Also what are some good tires/wheels for the mud/snow, that are still decent on the road?

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2.5" of front level can fit you 35's. 35's is the most axle clearance you are going to get without going to ATLEAST 6" lift and 3" body and 37s'. I've never seen anyone who had 37's on our trucks with just a 6" lift because it would take an extremely offset wheel and even then not sure it would work without wheel spacers and that's just a waste of money.

I have a 3" front and 2" adl just for a little added height and keeper level with heavy loads.

For wheels on a budget, go around and ask tire dealers what they have for take-offs that will fit your truck. My wheels were originally 270 a piece, I got all 4 for $200 in MINT condition.

For tires. I highly recommend Toyo Open Country M/Ts
BFGs are only other tire I even considered on my truck, I decided they were not loud enough for me.

Toyo's.= Better off road
BFGs= Quiter- Still good off road.
Ofcourse that comparison was on two different trucks so it's kinda hard to tell which one is actually better. Toyo's were on my 06 SCAB, BFGs on roommates 00 silv 1500 ext cab
Old 03-02-2009, 08:52 PM

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Toyo Open Country MTs all the way....not cheap though

4 inch Rancho lift is a pretty good bang for the buck lift from what I hear...or u could go with a level kit and fit 35s on stock rims. But I would suggest sticking with only a 33 with the level kit if u do any hard offroading. 35s have a tendency to rub under full lock and under some articulation.
I take my truck hunting every year and I am sticking with the 33x12.50 tire on an aftermarket wheel to stay away from any clearance issues.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:42 AM

Tires I'd go with Interco Trxus. Quiet, amazing performance in mud and all kinds of dirt except sand. Factory siping which adds to better performance in rain and snow also but adds to longer tread life also. It's a 3 stage lug, strong side walls and depending on your size of tire you can have up to 10ply rating, possibly more, don't remember. I'll be buying my 2nd set soon

You could just get a leveling kit which is cheaper and easily fit 35's, if not then i'd recommend a 4 inch lift since you still want it as your daily driver.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by rollingthunder
2.5" of front level can fit you 35's. 35's is the most axle clearance you are going to get without going to ATLEAST 6" lift and 3" body and 37s'. I've never seen anyone who had 37's on our trucks with just a 6" lift because it would take an extremely offset wheel and even then not sure it would work without wheel spacers and that's just a waste of money.

I have a 3" front and 2" adl just for a little added height and keeper level with heavy loads.
I am in the same position, cause my tires are almost gone and I dont want to get new small tires just to need new ones when I lift my truck. Do you have any recommendations for my situation?

I am looking to get bigger tires and rims but nothing to crazy. But I was thinking a 3" inch level kit could work? Would this? What brand do you suggest that is good and safe but reasonably priced? What is a reasonable price for a lift kit like this?
Old 03-03-2009, 03:37 PM

thanks for the replys, that's the info i was looking for.

so it looks like i would get a body lift, 3'' in the front, and 1'' or 2'' in the rear, with a 35'' tire on stock rims. Can anyone else confirm that this IS the max size tire i could use with a levelling kit, that will not rub?

orr, i would get a 4'' lift. What size tires would i be able to fit with that? Stock or larger rims? Also, are the toyos, or BFG tires any wider than stock?

sorry for what may seem like stupid questions, but this is my first truck/vehicle.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:14 PM
^ drinks KC Tea

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes. 35's is the biggest u could go with a leveling kit or 3 inch body. I currently have 35 by 12.5 inch bfg mud terrains and I have a very slight rub at full crank. If u get 35's they will probably be 12.5 inches wide which is like 2 inches wider than stock tires

Trending Topics

Old 03-03-2009, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Buck
Toyo Open Country MTs all the way....not cheap though

4 inch Rancho lift is a pretty good bang for the buck lift from what I hear...or u could go with a level kit and fit 35s on stock rims. But I would suggest sticking with only a 33 with the level kit if u do any hard offroading. 35s have a tendency to rub under full lock and under some articulation.
I take my truck hunting every year and I am sticking with the 33x12.50 tire on an aftermarket wheel to stay away from any clearance issues.

I checked out the 4'' rancho lift, but for $1900, thats a bit over my budget lol
Old 03-03-2009, 06:26 PM

i think the cheapest way to make it look good would prolly to put a 2.5" leveling kit on in the front. i bought a brand new leveling kit on ebay for $70. the cab and 1/2's tend to sit low in the front and high in the back so this leveling kit made my truck look great. i put a set of 33" cooper discover S/T's and they look great and they dont rub at all. though if you were looking for a bigger look then you might want to go with a bigger suspension lift.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by watter15
i think the cheapest way to make it look good would prolly to put a 2.5" leveling kit on in the front. i bought a brand new leveling kit on ebay for $70. the cab and 1/2's tend to sit low in the front and high in the back so this leveling kit made my truck look great. i put a set of 33" cooper discover S/T's and they look great and they dont rub at all. though if you were looking for a bigger look then you might want to go with a bigger suspension lift.
Well i'm not really doing for looks im just looking for a cheap way to make my truck better off road. Is there a body lift that will still keep some rake like from the factory? Thing is i'm hauling a small trailor almost every weeekend and ill be putting my dirt bike or snowmobile in the bed, so i would still like some rake

Quick Reply: Low Budget Lift Kit & Wheels