Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

loud noise from front end

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loud noise from front end

hey guys. i got a problem that i think the stealership is trying to screw me on.

it seems that whenever im turning and hit a dip (like coming into a driveway) or turning hard over etc. there is this loud clanking noise that comes from the front end.

i took it to the stealership (more than once), and they swear that its the steering stops, and all it needs is to be greased. so they grease them and have me take it for a test drive with the tech. unfortunately i can never get it to be recreated, of course until after i leave the shop and it starts acting up again, usually about a week or so later.

i find it very hard to believe that grease "disappears" right after i leave the shop.

i dont think its the ball joint (even though i havent checked them yet) simply for the fact that i dont have any wheel hop/bouncing going down the street. but i have no idea of what it could be.

any of you gus have any suggestions??

and of course now that the truck is out of warranty im prob. screwed, unless i put up a big fight, and of course if its a hard and/or expensive part to replace, i will put up a fight. especially since they have a record of it happening before the truck went out of warranty, and i still dont feel satisfied with the band aid of a repair they made.

again thanx for any help you guys can give.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:26 PM

can you describe the noise and when it happens a little better?
Old 05-06-2010, 11:57 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Steering stops? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the steering was limited by the rack and pinion on our trucks, not mechanically and definitely not greasable.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:50 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I used to get a light clunking noise when I would make a full right turn (left turn did not do it). I posted this last year and someone mentioned I should check the torque on the A arm(s). I never did do this. About two months ago, I saw oil on the drivers side front strut/shock. I replaced both front struts/shocks, gat an alignment, and I no longer get the clunking noise on hard right turns.

Diagnosing or pinpointing a front suspension fault on a forum is tough. You could end up replacing all front suspension maintenance items one at a time before you get it fixed.

If it were me, I'd find a good alignment shop, and have a tech road test (with you riding along) to find the problem.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:45 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Sounds like a sway bar end link bushing. Anytime your suspension compresses at a different rate between your left and right side, or leans, (like turning into a driveway) it puts a torque load on your sway bar, and sway bar end links and try to keep the truck even. If your sway bar end link bushings are worn, or not centered, or alltogether GONE, the sway bar end link can come into direct contact with the lower control arm, and make a loud metallic bang.

I saw this happen with a guy that installed a levelling kit. He did something wrong when he reconnected the end links, and it did what you're describing. Easy to fix. We just installed new bushings. I think they were less than $20 bucks at the dealership.

It wouldn't hurt to check your tie rod ends either, but it would do it more often if that were the problem.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by driver444
Sounds like a sway bar end link bushing. Anytime your suspension compresses at a different rate between your left and right side, or leans, (like turning into a driveway) it puts a torque load on your sway bar, and sway bar end links and try to keep the truck even. If your sway bar end link bushings are worn, or not centered, or alltogether GONE, the sway bar end link can come into direct contact with the lower control arm, and make a loud metallic bang.

I saw this happen with a guy that installed a levelling kit. He did something wrong when he reconnected the end links, and it did what you're describing. Easy to fix. We just installed new bushings. I think they were less than $20 bucks at the dealership.

It wouldn't hurt to check your tie rod ends either, but it would do it more often if that were the problem.
Sounds like a winner, I remember seeing a picture of a worn one on here, I'll try to find it so you can have an example of what to look for.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:51 AM

This shows the upper bushing: https://www.f150forum.com/f4/what-part-47864/

IIRC, there's another where the link connects to the lower control arm.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:34 PM

hey guys, i heard the sound today again. and it was actually a series of clicks when i was turning into a parking spot. it went click click click click, i actually think it was a couple more. im going to get under the truck today and check the sway bar ends, and ill post some pics if i see anything different
Old 05-10-2010, 07:38 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pongorulz
hey guys, i heard the sound today again. and it was actually a series of clicks when i was turning into a parking spot. it went click click click click, i actually think it was a couple more. im going to get under the truck today and check the sway bar ends, and ill post some pics if i see anything different
Okay.. this may sounds silly, but are you running a non-stock tire size? You sure it's not tire rub on the wheelwells?
Old 05-10-2010, 08:16 PM

bada bing heres the pictures. incredibly bad design imo from ford. no rubber steering stops, just metal on metal and the only repair is to put some grease on this, cuz it MIGHT stay on. what bull.

Quick Reply: loud noise from front end