Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

A lot of rain now engine misfiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A lot of rain now engine misfiring

Hello,
I have a 2006 F150 2wd Reg cab with the 4spd auto and 4.2l v6. Last week my truck started having problems when accelarating uphill. The entire truck would shake violently, the engine light would blink, and the truck would not get back up to speed. Then, it would miraculously fix itself and accelerate fine. This only started happening after I drove in a thundershower. I took the truck to my dealership, and the the codes read p0316 and p0353. They let it dry out, said there was no damage, and the truck was great for a few sunny days. It rained again yesterday and the truck started having the same problems from last week. Any help please?
The following users liked this post:
working in garden oo (03-07-2024)
Old 07-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

A quick Google search found this for the P0353 code:

http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=DTC_P0353

The other code (P0316) is a misfire, so I'd say they are related. Read the details from the link above, and post your results.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 07-08-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had a similar issue with my 04 screw. After i washed the truck, I drove about half a mile down the road and it made a funny noise and than started to rumble/shake really bad at low rpms and the engine light came on. I took it in the next day and they said the coil was bad and they replaced for me. the ruber seals must have been cracked on mine to let moisture in.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:23 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

My vote is for the coil. Wait for a dark night and look for a blue arc around your spark plugs. The plug boots can crack when they dry causing the spark to arc on the head and causing the missfire, water will make it worse
Old 07-08-2009, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewk
Hello,
I have a 2006 F150 2wd Reg cab with the 4spd auto and 4.2l v6. Last week my truck started having problems when accelarating uphill. The entire truck would shake violently, the engine light would blink, and the truck would not get back up to speed. Then, it would miraculously fix itself and accelerate fine. This only started happening after I drove in a thundershower. I took the truck to my dealership, and the the codes read p0316 and p0353. They let it dry out, said there was no damage, and the truck was great for a few sunny days. It rained again yesterday and the truck started having the same problems from last week. Any help please?
My 2006 had the same problem. I have replaced two coil packs already. The code was and engine missfire at cylinder 6 first then about two months later cylinder 2. The coil packs are about $40 a piece. They are not hard to change if you have the time and patience. I hate doing them. My mechanic only charges me about $125 with parts to change one out. If water gets under the coil it will short it out. My wife's TBird has gone through six coils packs already. Her car has the spark plugs in a deep well and the valve cover gasket if it leaks it the oil will short them out. I replaced the gasket but they are going anyway. My son has an Expedition and it has the sparks in a well. His problem is that the heater hose leaked into the coil well and short it out. But they are all going slowly.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the advice. The problem did not resurface yesterday or this morning, but just in case I'll check it out and bring it in if needed.

Quick Reply: A lot of rain now engine misfiring