Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Lost reverse in 4hi

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 02:07 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Lost reverse in 4hi

Title says it all. I'm back in holy jim right now off roading. Some soft dirt and a little rock stuff. Was in 4hi for about a half mile. Went to reverse to turn around. Speedo and tach went up. No reverse. Put it in 2 hi. Reversed fine. Normal? Not normal? Help me out. Do I need to worry? Cuz I am... Hah
Old 08-14-2014, 04:02 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

In theory that should not be able to happen.

However the first time it happened to me everything seemed to work the next time. Within a year I needed a new transmission as the reverse band had go out and took out some othe components with it.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dirttracker18
In theory that should not be able to happen. However the first time it happened to me everything seemed to work the next time. Within a year I needed a new transmission as the reverse band had go out and took out some othe components with it.
Ya man I don't know what it was. I got out fine and everything now works great. Woke up this am. Drove it around. Works as it normally has. Fluid is full and clean. Took it to my shop and explained to them and they don't know. There was no grinding or popping at all.

Any preventative measures I should take? Does this mean I'm looking at a new tranny in the near future?
Old 08-15-2014, 10:25 AM

IF my assumption is correct, the reverse band can be changed early to avoid further damage and this the need for an entire trans. It is still costly as the trans needs to be removed to do the band.

Keep an eye out for any slip or slow engagement in reverse. If it happens again, then look into the repair. It could have been a one if strange occurrence.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:43 AM

IF my assumption is correct, the reverse band can be changed early to avoid further damage and this the need for an entire trans. It is still costly as the trans needs to be removed to do the band. Keep an eye out for any slip or slow engagement in reverse. If it happens again, then look into the repair. It could have been a one if strange occurrence.
Ok. Since I got the truck, it has a slower than normal engagement to reverse than I am used to. I drove a mazda 3 before this so I know it's a totally different thing, but, it still does take like a half second longer than I think and it clunks in. And it's been doing this for forever. An early sign?
Old 08-15-2014, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bossgame
Ok. Since I got the truck, it has a slower than normal engagement to reverse than I am used to. I drove a mazda 3 before this so I know it's a totally different thing, but, it still does take like a half second longer than I think and it clunks in. And it's been doing this for forever. An early sign?
Unfortunately yes normally.

However I think if wait for further signs like another slip or longer engagements.

When that happens talk to a reputable transmission shop.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:58 PM

Unfortunately yes normally. However I think if wait for further signs like another slip or longer engagements. When that happens talk to a reputable transmission shop.
Thanks for all of your help man. Much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Lost reverse in 4hi