Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

lost overdrive without warning

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lost overdrive without warning

any one have a problem like this? i know its a can of worms but i am looking for some advice if nothing else. Driving home from work and my truck out of no where just revved up like it was in neutral so i turned off the overdrive and it shifts fine just have no overdrive.... i did give it some gas in overdrive it revved up and caught but as soon as i let off the gas it revved out again...
i just dont understand cause there was no warning no pre existing slipping ...nothing ... and will i hurt it if i continue to drive it?
My truck is an 2004 f150 new body style w/5.4 4x4 w/98,000 miles

Last edited by AA doug; 11-16-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:14 PM
RejectedReject

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

My trans went out on my 05 5.4 4x4 at 92,000 with no warning. I got off the highway and had no 1st or 2nd, had to gas the hell out of it to go. Than tried to parallel park and found no reverse.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:08 PM

not looking good for me huh...lol
Old 11-16-2009, 11:14 PM
RejectedReject

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Probably not. If you are good with a wrench you can replace it yourself. It took a friend and I 7hrs in and out and I saved myself about $2600 compared to the dealer cost.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:56 PM

Before we go throwing parts at it, let's start simple....

Did you check the trans fluid level? If not, I would start there.

If the fluid level is good, then I would lean more toward an electrical gremlin. Can you check the O/D fuses and circuitry - I ask only because I don't know your technical proficiency?

If all of the above are still good, then I would head to the dealer. Expensive, but it would save you money and time in the long run.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:23 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine did that at 37K miles while i was in cruise going up a hill, it made it home just fine without much other worry, but then right at my driveway lost all gears but drive (3rd) and even lost reverse. Trans fluid was fine and level, but Ford replaced the tranny and when they put in the new one they added an in-lune filter to the trans cooler...too bad yours is out of warranty? Or do you have an extended warranty by chance? Hope yours is minor though.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the same issue with mine 04 with 96k miles on it. Check the fluid level. Check the transmission pan for any metal chunks or anything. I replaced the O/D solenoid in mine which didn't fix mine, it was the O/D band that broke in mine. The repair shop told me $1600 to do a rebuild with some upgrades. I still haven't done it yet trying to save the money for it, so for now I'm running around in drive, but I wouldn't do it for long if you can help it.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:16 PM

thankfully i got my mustang gt to drive so im not jumping to fix the truck right before the holidays. i talked to some people today and im gonna get it checked out by a tranny shop friend of a friend deal so he will tell it to me straight. i will replace it myself if i have to but im hoping something small. but i know its wishful thinking. im leaning towards broken overdrive band myself...but ill see. thanks for the responses im new to the forums and cant beleive all the people on here . glad i found it...i will check back when i find out the deal. thanks again to those who responded.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:32 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

My Durango had nearly the exact same problem you described at about 100K miles. I took it to a couple tranny shops and they all said it needed a full rebuild. I put it up on blocks in my garage, dropped the pan and found a little broken metal retainer clip stuck to the pan magnet. I ended up dropping out the entire tranny valving assembly and found that the retainer held in a little spring loaded "overdrive bypass pin" (or someline like that). Called around in Denver, found a tranny shop that sold me a used OD valve assembly for $80 and I pulled the retainer piece off that one to replace mine. Reassembled (and tighted the bands while I was in there) and I was good to go. Cost was $80 for the parts, several new quarts of tranny fluid, 2 bazillion paper towels and about 4 evenings of my time (mainly b/c I was entirely winging it). Runs good as new again.

Last edited by thump; 11-17-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:35 PM
@jverderber1

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Same thing happened to me at 80,000. Unlucky for me it was my OD band, had the whole thing re-hauled with upgrades for $1400.

Quick Reply: lost overdrive without warning