Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Lost my keys!! Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost my keys!! Need help.

Can you really buy keys from someone and have them reprogrammed because im lookin at about $200 to get it elsewhere and a friend told me to post here and find keys. Anybody have any insight on whether this is true or not??? Please Helppp!
Old 07-06-2010, 05:55 PM

you can buy unprogrammed keys off ebay for like $20 dollars just search around on there. then i would just have it pulled to your local dealer for programing. my local ford dealer does it for $60 but i know that varies depending on location. hope this helps
Old 07-06-2010, 05:56 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/keys-our-trucks-20169/
Old 07-06-2010, 07:04 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

As the link above will say, you must have two WORKING keys in order to program a third, forth, and so on yourself. If you do not have two programmed keys, you will need to have a dealer (or equipped locksmith) program a key(s) for you.

Your owners manual describes the proceedure to program a blank; provided you have two working keys.

If you don't have an owners manual, I posted in another link how to download a PDF copy (free) today. Search on "owners manual".
Old 07-06-2010, 10:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dealer quotes in my area are $110 for a new key programmed (no fob, just a key). I am stuck because the truck only came with one (purchased it used). Like everyone else has said, you need two keys, or you need a dealer or locksmith.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:44 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds a little bit high. I just had it done (key + program) at a Denver dealer for $80 plus tax.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:50 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

If you're strapped for cash and you've got a spare key, you can tape your spare up under the column to satisfy the PATS and get a couple keys cut. Obviously not a good long term solution, but it's one way to do it.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:12 AM

I have a friend who lost a key and it was about $150 to replace. and yes it did have to get towed to the dealership. it's not the key that gets programmed for the truck, its the truck that gets programmed to accept the particular signal that the key reflects. I do remember my friend saying that based on the VIN# they can determine the 5 different tumbler heights required to copy your key- that is the mechanical part.

I wonder if you can't use your remote starter to satisfy the PATS as one of the keys?? Becuase I've also been procrastinating getting myself a second key, but I know (becuase I had to troubleshoot an electrical problem)that i have a brand of remote starter bypass module that simulates a key (ie- it does not have one of my keys inside of it like some other remote starters use). So I suppose when it was installed, there were 2 keys for my truck present and this module was taught (or actually the truck was taught) to accept the module's signal as a key. Having said that, performing a remote start, then cancelling it, then inserting my one good key, start position, off position, then inserting the new unprogrammed (but already cut) key- MIGHT just work.

Has anyone ever tried this?

Quick Reply: Lost my keys!! Need help.