Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Lost and Confused

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 11:51 PM
Combat Trucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lost and Confused

When it comes to changing the gears in my 05 4x4, im totally lost. I have no idea about any of this so hopefully you do. I want gears that will make it faster, but not do bad off road, and not hurt my gas milage. I dont even know what the stock gears are. What gears should i put in the rear and what should i put in the front? Or could i just change the rear and leave the front alone?
Old 02-06-2009, 12:20 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

First and foremost, The front and rear gear ratios MUST BE THE SAME, or you will blow something up when you put it in 4wd. Most likely a transfer case.

Second, to find what gear you have you can...
1. look on your window sticker, and if you don't have that, you can
2. look at the metal tag located on on of the bolts holding your rear differential cover on. It will say 3 55, or 3 73, or 3 L 73 or 3 L 55. (these are the common ones) The "L" between the numbers signifies a limited slip differential, and the numbers obviously are you gear ratio. The front will be the same.

Third, What do you mean by "faster"? If you mean top end, you'll want 3:55's or 3:31's. If you mean faster 0-60, (acceleration) you'll want 3:73's or 4:10's. The lower the number, the higher the gear.

Are you towing? I have 3:55's in my truck, with a 5.4 engine, and can tow 8400#. The same truck with 3:73's can tow 9400#.

As far as fuel economy, around town, 3:55 and 3:73 will be close. At highway speeds, the higher ratios, (lower #'s) will be better, (provided you're not towing).

Basically, We could all give you a better answer if we knew more about your truck (cab and bed style, engine, etc), and what you primarily use it for. Everybody has different needs and wants.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Also keep in mind that if you go to a gear ratio like. 4:56 4:88 or whatever and do not
Really need it you will actually make your truck slower. The computer factors in load
When adapting to your driving. Essentially the truck does not have to work as hard and
Thus gives you less.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:27 PM

Yeah, that's a good point that I overlooked.

If this is a daily driver that you're looking to get more acceleration out of, you'll probably do better for your dollars to increasse horsepower instead. Gear swaps aren't cheap.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:24 AM
Combat Trucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its an 05 f150 4x4 extended cab. 6.5' bed. 5.4L auto trans. im looking to get a better 1/4 mile time but i also drive from MD to NC a lot so i dont wanna hurt my gas milage too bad. this is kind of an all around truck, but mostly a daily driver. i do a lot of hunting and fishing so i drive off road quite a bit but when im not doing that, i have it at the track. i'll have to look at what i have in it now when i get home. im on the other side of the world right now!
Old 02-07-2009, 08:20 AM

You're probably gonna get the best results with 3:73's. That's a good all-around gear, and probably the most popular. The 0-60 will be a little better than the 3:55's. (not too much, just a little)

The 3:55's will be best if you do alot of highway. That's what I have. I'm happy with the acceleration, even when towing. I've towed right up to the 8400# rating, and it handles it well. Though I don't typically off-road, there have been times I've had to go into some sticky situations. Again, the 3:55's did fine. If I need a lower gear than that, I have 4wd LOW.

Truth is, there isn't a HUGE difference between the two. 4:10's are another story. Lot's of power, noticeably less fuel economy, and you will be at a higher RPM at highway speeds.

Unless you're gonna do a lift kit and/or put much larger tires on it, if you have 3:55's or 3:73's, go with horsepower mods, tuners, exhaust, intake. To change gears in a 4x4 with IFS is gonna run at least a couple grand. The difference won't be worth it. For a couple grand more, you could put a Roush Charger on it!!!
Old 02-07-2009, 08:23 AM

Rainman, I just re-read your post, and forgot to say something...

THANKS FOR WHAT YOU DO !!!
Old 02-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by driver444
You're probably gonna get the best results with 3:73's. That's a good all-around gear, and probably the most popular. The 0-60 will be a little better than the 3:55's. (not too much, just a little)

The 3:55's will be best if you do alot of highway. That's what I have. I'm happy with the acceleration, even when towing. I've towed right up to the 8400# rating, and it handles it well. Though I don't typically off-road, there have been times I've had to go into some sticky situations. Again, the 3:55's did fine. If I need a lower gear than that, I have 4wd LOW.

Truth is, there isn't a HUGE difference between the two. 4:10's are another story. Lot's of power, noticeably less fuel economy, and you will be at a higher RPM at highway speeds.

Unless you're gonna do a lift kit and/or put much larger tires on it, if you have 3:55's or 3:73's, go with horsepower mods, tuners, exhaust, intake. To change gears in a 4x4 with IFS is gonna run at least a couple grand. The difference won't be worth it. For a couple grand more, you could put a Roush Charger on it!!!
Very well said
Old 02-07-2009, 10:24 AM

Received 749 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainman
its an 05 f150 4x4 extended cab. 6.5' bed. 5.4L auto trans. im looking to get a better 1/4 mile time but i also drive from MD to NC a lot so i dont wanna hurt my gas milage too bad. this is kind of an all around truck, but mostly a daily driver. i do a lot of hunting and fishing so i drive off road quite a bit but when im not doing that, i have it at the track. i'll have to look at what i have in it now when i get home. im on the other side of the world right now!
Just get a programmer with custom tunes.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PawPaw
Just get a programmer with custom tunes.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Quick Reply: Lost and Confused