Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

loss of oil no leaks engine fail safe mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loss of oil no leaks engine fail safe mode

I was taking my son to school when my motor started running rough. next thing I know the engine fail safe mode comes on and the motor stalls. Went to auto zone and borrowed thier diagnostic tool, couldn't link to my computer. Reset the computer by disconnecting battery. tried starting the motor got a low oil pressure reading. Checked the oil hardly any oil in the motor. There are no visible leaks on my driveway, underneath the truck or in the exhaust pipe. Put more oil in the truck, but won't start. Also went to walmart and bought a diagnostic tool. It read no dtc or freeze frame data stored. Pulling my hair out! Can anyone help?
Old 03-09-2012, 09:25 AM
DIY

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

how many miles do you have since the last oil change?
how many miles in the truck?
What the coolant in the truck looks line? clear? oily?
have you check your exhaust pipe? does it looks oily or just black dust? or water?
Old 03-09-2012, 09:51 AM

changed the oil about 3 mos ago about three thousand miles. I use valvoline full synthetic 5w-30.
the truck has 126,000
the coolant is clear and filled to the proper line
and the tail pipe is completly clean
Old 03-09-2012, 02:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you change your oil or did a shop? I've seen it before, shops neglecting their customers...
Old 03-10-2012, 12:15 AM

changed the oil myself. I was going to a shop before, decided to do it myself and switched from coventional to full synthetic. Thanks for your responce.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Id say its leaking into the fuel rails or something of that nature and burning off then, something you will want to take to a deal to look at and something that could get pricey. Could be something simple in there but then it may not be
Old 03-12-2012, 12:22 PM

Took the truck to the dealer tsat, said there's no compression in the cylinders. Told me I have to replace the engine. Gonna get a second opinion today. Thanks for all the replies!
Old 03-12-2012, 01:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sntullis
Took the truck to the dealer tsat, said there's no compression in the cylinders. Told me I have to replace the engine. Gonna get a second opinion today. Thanks for all the replies!
Did they say the motor was seized as well?

Best of luck.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:27 AM

Thanks everyone who has posted. Went to the dealor today, talked personally to the mechanic who said my motor was blown. He told me he couldn't do a full compression check because the timing was off, but still thought the motor was blown. I sat down with him and he told me he went above the$ 100 diagnostic check. Said he he checked the cat converters, no prob, checked fuel injection, no prob. Told me he couldn't do a futher check without it being another $200. (full compression check) I had my truck towed to another mechanic that I know. Sorry kind of babbled. No the motor is not seized, still tries to turn over, but seems to be trying to start but goes bah bah bah..bah....bah.....bah..bah bah bah...bah (sorry trying to find the best way to describe)
Old 03-14-2012, 12:52 AM

Talked to my mechanic today. He said there are two steps we can do.
1) He can fix the timing and cost me about $400, but can't guarentee that it will work. Told me if the timing chain slipped it probably bent a rod.
2) Change the motor.
THe motor does turn over, but will not start. There is low compression and spark coming from the plugs. Fuel injectors are good. Coils are good. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do next? Thanks for everyones replies!

Quick Reply: loss of oil no leaks engine fail safe mode