Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Loss of HP after phasers, solenoids and timing chain work done

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of HP after phasers, solenoids and timing chain work done

I recently bought a 2004 Ford F150 Lariat Super-Crew 4x4 5.4L. Before I signed they said they would fix the check engine light and warranty the engine for a year. The check engine light code was camshaft position sensor over retarded bank 2. After some work was done I was getting a solenoid code.

It had sense been in the shop 3 times. 2 weeks, 4 weeks and 2 weeks. The work completed was timing chain, both phasers and solenoids. Also, some other miscellaneous like gear box, throttle body, etc.

The error code is now gone and the ticking is somewhat quieter but there has been a significant loss in hp. When I first got the truck before I changed the plugs and did a high mile oil change it had good hp. After changing the spark plugs out and changing oil it had great hp.

Since they have worked on it, like I previously stated, the check engine light is off but there is a huge drop in HP and it has been over a week since the work has been done. The guy from the shop is a "certified mechanic" but it took him 3 tries and something still seems not to have been done correctly. Any ideas of what I could do to find out if he fixed it just enough to get the error code off?

The way I understand it is, a code is thrown at a certain decimal or integer but the vehicle can get very close to throwing a code and run poorly but since it has not reached the value set then it will not throw a code. Is there a way to test the HP or to track down what maybe the issue? Thanks in advance.

Travis
Old 06-24-2014, 12:45 PM

Also, when I get off the interstate the truck "bogs down" like its gonna die but doesn't.

After I got the truck back the first time I made it 5 mins on the interstate and lost all oil pressure. They towed it.

Second time getting truck back it would "bog down" all the time. Especially in reverse.

Since I got it back this last time it only currently "bogs down" after being on the interstate.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:35 PM

Is there a way to test the HP or to see if I am "just below" getting an error code? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would take it back honestly. Or you can have a conversation with the Service Manager (I dont know how much good it will do tho).
Old 06-24-2014, 04:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

They clearly screwed something up. Definitely take it back.

Quick Reply: Loss of HP after phasers, solenoids and timing chain work done