Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

loose transmission filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loose transmission filter

Hi fellas, I'm a first time poster. Thank you for all the good information. I just bought a 08 RCSW STX with the 4.6 and I have a question. I dropped my transmission pan today to change fluid and filter. The old filter was snug, but the new one is not quite as tight. I lightly tapped it in place with a rubber mallet and it holds itself up, but I would feel better if a bolt or screw was there to hold it in place. Does the pan keep the filter from dropping? I have visions of it laying in the bottom of my oil pan.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:42 AM

Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Same situation when I changed mine recently. The old one was snug, but when I inserted the new one, it would get snug, but before it was fully seated. If I pushed it in all the way, it felt loose. A quick google search led to two or three tutorials that stated something on the lines of 'make sure filter is pressed in all the way'. So, I pressed it in as far as it would go. Hope that was right!
Old 10-15-2014, 08:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Similar question. Will a filter that has dropped cause problems? Like slipping in first gear (and maybe others).
Old 10-15-2014, 08:21 AM
Cant this thing go faster

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Crow Bait
Similar question. Will a filter that has dropped cause problems? Like slipping in first gear (and maybe others).
It's possible, depending on fluid level
Old 10-15-2014, 08:37 AM

Fluid level is good, color is good. I did a fluid exchange (Amsoil Mercon V equivalent) and filter about 2 weeks ago. At first all the shifts felt smooth and firm. Monday I noticed, what I thought was a slip in first gear. I felt it again yesterday, and I confirmed it today while trying to pull out of my driveway. It slipped really badly before shifting into second. I haven't been able to get it to slip with the gear selector on "1".

My commute is about 10 miles. When I get to work, and get out of the truck I can smell transmission fluid (could this be the smell of the clutches burning?). There is no leak. I do not know the transmission temperature or pressure.

This was my first transmission filter replacement, and I remember feeling weird about the filter just hanging there, and I'm wondering if it slipped out. I'm contemplating checking it before I call in a professional.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:09 PM
Cant this thing go faster

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Crow Bait
Fluid level is good, color is good. I did a fluid exchange (Amsoil Mercon V equivalent) and filter about 2 weeks ago. At first all the shifts felt smooth and firm. Monday I noticed, what I thought was a slip in first gear. I felt it again yesterday, and I confirmed it today while trying to pull out of my driveway. It slipped really badly before shifting into second. I haven't been able to get it to slip with the gear selector on "1".

My commute is about 10 miles. When I get to work, and get out of the truck I can smell transmission fluid (could this be the smell of the clutches burning?). There is no leak. I do not know the transmission temperature or pressure.

This was my first transmission filter replacement, and I remember feeling weird about the filter just hanging there, and I'm wondering if it slipped out. I'm contemplating checking it before I call in a professional.
Did the o-ring come out with the old filter? That might be what's making it feel loose.

If you are inclined the valve body can be removed and cleaned and a SureCure kit put in to fix the slipping.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:52 PM

Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

When I seated mine fully, and it felt a little sloppy, I checked to see if it would fall out. It took effort to pull it out. So, in my case, there was no risk of it falling out. My only concern was the loose fit. So far, tranny runs fine.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by technokami
Did the o-ring come out with the old filter? That might be what's making it feel loose.

If you are inclined the valve body can be removed and cleaned and a SureCure kit put in to fix the slipping.

Yes, the old O-ring came out.

I've been thinking about this all day, and I now recall that I had a rattle I couldn't Identify, that mysteriously went away a couple of days ago. I think it was my filter rattling loose.

I'm pulling the pan tonight. I'm sick over the thought that my transmission may be smoked because of this stupid mistake. I remember seating the filter and wondering how on earth it stayed attached... I suppose I didn't give it force it really needed to seat correctly.

I will let you know.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:12 PM

Confirmed. The Duralast filter jiggled loose. The O-Ring was still in the hole.

I remember wondering how the filter would stay connected. It didn't start rattling for at least a week after I did the transmission fluid/filter change. I noticed the rattle just after I changed my shocks to new bilstiens. I was sure there was a problem with the shock installation, and I was going over as many bumps as I could to figure out what the rattle was (Lol). A few days ago it stopped rattling. I was pleased, until the slipping started.

The rattle sounded a lot like a beer can rolling around in the bed, but I never could determine where it was coming from. Now I know.

I will be picking up a new motorcraft filter tomorrow.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Mine fit snuggly

I used a WIX filter, it went in as tight as the OEM-which was a bit hard to remove. No problems otherwise.

Quick Reply: loose transmission filter