Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Loose hose by front right wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose hose by front right wheel

I just got a 2004 f150 laiart, etc. my first real vehicle and truck especially. Love it.

Trying to troubleshoot a grinding noise on the front left tire. I realize its related to the 4x4.

I read some where that the grinding could be caused by an issue on the other tire/air hoses. so i started to look at the front right, and noticed the air hoses weren't even attached. instead some weird random hose was attached to one of the male air heads on the wheel.

i hooked up the proper air hoses, but can't figure out what this loose hose is for.

I can't find any unused place on the tire or even area to attach it too. I'm not even sure if its an original part. i can't find the hose on the left tire anywhere.

The hose is hanging there attached via a zip tie.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Perhaps someone was tryin to fix a problem with the vacuum before, and just left it?

thanks
Attached Thumbnails Loose hose by front right wheel-hose.jpg  
Old 01-29-2015, 08:35 AM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Looks like a random hose to me. The required ones looked to be hooked up.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:56 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yea look random to me too, the iwe vaccine hose looks to be connected , make sure the hose covers both of the two pins on the iwe
Old 01-29-2015, 10:07 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Zip tie kinda gives it away....probably random hose. If your still getting a grinding noise replace the vacuum solenoid behind the battery. Earlier models do not have a rain hood over the solenoid so they are exposed to water running off of the hood cowl. The new solenoid with the rain hood only cost me $26 at NAPA. The grinding noise is more than likely partial engagement of the IWE's.
The following users liked this post:
blank (01-29-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 11:08 AM

the weird thing is that loose hose was covering only ONE of the vacuum holes on the tire. The actual vacuum hoses weren't connected at all to the wheel.

One of the hard hoses snapped on me that comes of the T right after the Solenoid. I suppose its the one that goes to the left wheel.

On the way to get parts the engine light came on (i had completely disconnected the Solenoid.

Went to AutoZone and picked up a new Solenoid ($29), and tried to find some hoses. Found some and some connectors that i rigged together.

The old solenoid did have a cap on the top of it.
You can actually see the old one on this picture i took of the cable that broke (so i could look for similar parts at Autozone).

Hooked up the new Solenoid, and hoses but the engine light is still on.
Maybe it takes a bit.

It's super windy and cold here, so it's hard to hear if things are working right so i'm going to give it a go later on when the wind clears up.

No idea why the light would be on if all i messed with was that solenoid, and i hooked up the new one.

If this doesn't work i may just have to find an actual modern Ford Mechanic around here. Would hate to spend alot of more money on this after the last mechanic kinda screwed me. I'm kinda wonder if the last mechanic is the one that was rigging that extra hose onto that vacuum hole on the tire. surely they wouldn't do something so silly.
Attached Thumbnails Loose hose by front right wheel-solenoid.jpg  

Last edited by blank; 01-29-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:47 AM

So you broke the hose that connected to the right side of the T? That's the line that comes from the motor I believe.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by bwFX42006
So you broke the hose that connected to the right side of the T? That's the line that comes from the motor I believe.
Yup that dang thing just snapped right in half. I replaced it. But i did have to stupidity drive to get replacement parts. I assumed it was only for the 4x4.

Should this check engine light go away? or needs to be reset? I'll have to take it back to autozone, or some other mechanic to get the error code.

Still looking for someone local who is decent with more recent fords. everyone i know seems to only mess with super old ones and jib bobs mechanic shop took over a week just for to perform a tune up, and didnt even catch this odd hose, or 4x4 not working properly.

thanks for all your replies by the way.

Last edited by blank; 01-29-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:17 PM

Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery and then see if it comes back on.
blank (01-29-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 12:39 PM

Okay buddy thanks, that got rid of the error. Drove it a couple miles to see if the error would show back up and it hadnt.

The constant metal SHHHHHHSHSHSHHH sound seems to be gone, crossing fingers.... but there are of random pops and clicks from that tire. Maybe the damage has been done that actuator needs to be replaced (i think thats the part name). I'll try to get some decent ramps/jacks soon so i can do the freewheel test to see if they well moves freely in 2w mode.

thanks again!!

Last edited by blank; 01-29-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:43 PM

Not sure about the clicks and pops...but the solenoid should be fine. If the noises continue I would recommend having someone diagnose the problem but your vacuum issues should be solved for now. Good luck
blank (01-30-2015)

Quick Reply: Loose hose by front right wheel