Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Looking or Radio/Can bus Pinout

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Big Kahuna

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Looking or Radio/Can bus Pinout

I'm working on a write/review of the "chinese" factory looking nav headunits, (http://www.autodvdgps.com/aftermarke...150-p-908.html) but I'm running into a couple problems that I'm trying to get all worked out before I post it all up.

I've done some looking and can't find exactly what I'm looking for, and I dont have access to the ford tech documents.

Does anyone have the pinout of the 16 pin can bus connector on the back of the factory radio?? Obviously this would only be for 07+ newer trucks, from what I understand, 07 was when things switched to can bus control for the radio.

actually if you have the pinout of the main harness also, that would be great!

Thanks for the help. Expect an EXTREAMLY detailed write-up soon!
Old 03-22-2011, 06:41 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

The main harness pinout can be found with a search on the audio section of this forum.

In your picture, the arrow is pointing to the factory "audiophile" plug. This is for the under backseat factory amp. This too (color coded factory wiring/pinout) can be found with a search in the audio section. I posted the main harness wiring/pinout there, and recall the audiphile assignments as well. Someone listed it for those that had to make their own when adding the audiphile option to their trucks when it was not pre-wired, as all models did not come pre-wired for the audiophile.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Big Kahuna

Originally Posted by Bucko
The main harness pinout can be found with a search on the audio section of this forum.

In your picture, the arrow is pointing to the factory "audiophile" plug. This is for the under backseat factory amp. This too (color coded factory wiring/pinout) can be found with a search in the audio section. I posted the main harness wiring/pinout there, and recall the audiphile assignments as well. Someone listed it for those that had to make their own when adding the audiphile option to their trucks when it was not pre-wired, as all models did not come pre-wired for the audiophile.
Thanks, I did find the pinout of the main harness. But I'm pretty sure the 16pin connector I showed is the can bus plug not the audiophile. I could be wrong, but from what I understand the audiophile radio's have 3 plugs. I'm having issues getting the steering wheel controls working right with the new unit (supposed to be plug and play, no SWI interface needed), I have a feeling its a wiring problem. Just trying to get an idea of what should go where.

Thanks again

Old 03-23-2011, 09:12 AM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Here is the Radio Harness pin outs
Attached Thumbnails Looking or Radio/Can bus Pinout-radio-harness.jpg  
Old 03-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Big Kahuna

Thanks Nobman! Thats exactly what I needed.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:40 AM
Big Kahuna

Hey Nobman, if you don't mind me asking, where did you get that? i've seen that "connector view" before, is that from a particular website, or is that just having access to ford tech documents?
Old 03-23-2011, 10:00 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Sorry, you are correct. That plug is for the overhead DVD player that some of the high end dollar trucks had. Not all 6 CD radios made by DFord have this center plug.

Glad to see another poster had this for you!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so that cant be installed in an 05?
Old 03-23-2011, 11:36 AM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a service manual CD Rom. I got It off Ebay cheap.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Big Kahuna

Originally Posted by southernscrew10
so that cant be installed in an 05?
From what I understand they will work with all 04-08 F150's. I'll have more on it soon, I'm finishing up getting everthing working right, and should have a review up by next week.

Quick Reply: Looking or Radio/Can bus Pinout