Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Looking for new tires.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 09:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Looking for new tires.

Hey guys, new here but been browsing for a while. So I have an '06 F150 4x4 and I've been wanting to get a new set of rims and tires for forever now, just haven't had the money. Well hopefully I'll have it within the next few weeks so I want to start really figuring out what I want. I had my heart set on a set of 33x12.50R20 Toyo Open Country M/T. I wanted those because I absolutely LOVE the aggressive look of them and they look great with the rims I'm wanting; KMC Monsters. I don't do hardly any offroading and they'd probably never really be used like their supposed to except maybe in the snow. I knew that before I had my heart set on them, but figured I'd just get over the fact that my MPG would suffer.. Well, with gas prices rising and the fact that my truck only gets 10-11 mpg city and also that I'm going to be doing more traveling and such this summer, I figured that I need to find a more economical tire.

Now, here's my very oximoronic (actually a word) question. What are the best tires that have a good combination of aggressive looks, road capability and economical prices (both MPG and actually price of tire). Trail Grapplers? I know this question seems pretty impossible to answer but I know there are plenty of aggressive tire owners out there that have been in the same boat. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Last edited by Gundown64; 05-11-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Without a doubt the Toyo Open Country M/Ts will be going on my truck as soon as I get the cash together. My buddies have them and they are very happy with them. I heard the Terra Grapplers are good tires as well, however I heard the wear isn't all that great on them. The BFG TA KOs are big on the forum as well and they are liked alot around here. Truthfully, I can't speak from experience but you can bet i'll be putting the Open Country M/T's on my truck. My buddies can't believe how aggressive they are yet how quiet they are on the road. I doubt my truck will be going offroad yet the look of the tread on the Open Countries does it for me!

I would definitely look at the BFG TA KOs as they have a nice aggressive tread yet don't kill your gas mileage too much.

Last edited by Jono6716; 05-10-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting trail grapps soon
Old 05-11-2011, 12:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jono6716
Without a doubt the Toyo Open Country M/Ts will be going on my truck as soon as I get the cash together. My buddies have them and they are very happy with them. I heard the Terra Grapplers are good tires as well, however I heard the wear isn't all that great on them. The BFG TA KOs are big on the forum as well and they are liked alot around here. Truthfully, I can't speak from experience but you can bet i'll be putting the Open Country M/T's on my truck. My buddies can't believe how aggressive they are yet how quiet they are on the road. I doubt my truck will be going offroad yet the look of the tread on the Open Countries does it for me!

I would definitely look at the BFG TA KOs as they have a nice aggressive tread yet don't kill your gas mileage too much.
Yep, the look is just unbeatable. I still might go with them, but I'm just looking to see if anyone can convince me to do otherwise. Thanks for the input!
Old 05-11-2011, 12:32 PM

Just ordered a set of 275/66/20R BFG A/T KO, I def recommend!
Old 05-11-2011, 04:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HoppyFX4
Just ordered a set of 275/66/20R BFG A/T KO, I def recommend!
And how quiet are these? I have the stock RuggedTrails and they are quiet and wear well (they are new and I have 42,300 miles).
Old 05-11-2011, 04:18 PM

I got about 56k off my toyo open countrys (33x12x17) another buddys of mine has been telling me to try General Grabbers.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:32 PM

Default Tires

I have the BFG AT KO's right now, and they are nice. I am going to get me some badass nitto trail grappler m/t's next though. The Toyo's are aggressive, but the trail grapplers are sick.
Attached Thumbnails Looking for new tires.-imag0230.jpg  

Last edited by cdmak1; 05-12-2011 at 07:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking for new tires.