Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Looking for info on buying 5.4/F150

Old 06-05-2016, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for info on buying 5.4/F150

I'm considering purchasing a 2008 F150 FX4 with about 85,000 miles. It has all the power options + power rear glass. Leather heated interior with memory seats and adjustable pedals, keyless entry. Overhead console and center console shiftier. Side steps and trailer brake. I found it for $9000 and was able to talk him down to $7500 because the bumpers are all chipped up and need replaced/painted.

I've read a lot of problems people have with the 5.4's. Mainly the spark plugs, coil packs, and the cam phasers. I buddy of mine said he thought that they had redesigned a couple issues with the 5.4 on its last year of production. I was curious if this was true? The truck seems to run and drive no problem with no noises when the hood is open. I had a mechanic check it over and the only thing he found was a moderate oil leak in the front of the engine either front the front crank seal or the timing cover but wasn't sure without cleaning it first. Is this common for these trucks? Is there anything else you would suggest paying special attention to?

I'm looking to put a 2" leveling kit and 33" 12.50 tires with some aftermarket wheels and some other small mods and use it as DD/work truck.

Last edited by RCFX4x4; 06-05-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Sounds like a good deal

Pics?
Originally Posted by RCFX4x4
I'm considering purchasing a 2008 F150 FX4 with about 85,000 miles. It has all the power options + roof and power rear glass. Leather heated interior with memory seats and adjustable pedals, keyless entry. Overhead console and center console shiftier. Side steps and trailer brake. I found it for $9000 and was able to talk him down to $7500 because the bumpers are all chipped up and need replaced/painted.

I've read a lot of problems people have with the 5.4's. Mainly the spark plugs, coil packs, and the cam phasers. I buddy of mine said he thought that they had redesigned a couple issues with the 5.4 on its last year of production. I was curious if this was true? The truck seems to run and drive no problem with no noises when the hood is open. I had a mechanic check it over and the only thing he found was a moderate oil leak in the front of the engine either front the front crank seal or the timing cover but wasn't sure without cleaning it first. Is this common for these trucks? Is there anything else you would suggest paying special attention to?

I'm looking to put a 2" leveling kit and 33" 12.50 tires with some aftermarket wheels and some other small mods and use it as DD/work truck.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:49 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

Sounds like a good price to me. If it's a crew cab check the cab corners and rockers for rust. They tend to rot from the inside out on the 04-08 models.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the 08 trucks aren't affected by the spark plug issue. That price is really low for the truck... I'd be very weary of that oil leak being something serious at that price point. That's just me being skeptical, but very well could be a great deal
Old 06-05-2016, 07:16 PM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce4
the 08 trucks aren't affected by the spark plug issue. That price is really low for the truck... I'd be very weary of that oil leak being something serious at that price point. That's just me being skeptical, but very well could be a great deal
he needs to check the build date on valve cover to be sure...
Old 06-05-2016, 07:33 PM

It's a long boring story how I'm getting the truck but it's basically one of my father's good business partners. Anyways my father is a professional mechanic ASE certified tons of experience kinda deal and he said it's nothing serious but he cant tell if its the seal behind the crank pulley or the timing cover gasket but either way it shouldn't be a big deal. He said that the truck was put out of commission shortly after the leak and its been sitting for a year or so. I'm hoping its just the seal because I don't wanna take the front cover off until I need no timing chains. But if it is I'll probably just throw new guides and chains on it while it's off. He looked underneath for me and said the bottom is rock solid no rust factory coated still. The build date on the door is 04/08. I'll check on the valve cover tomorrow. What are the dates it changed?
Attached Thumbnails Looking for info on buying 5.4/F150-24680.jpeg   Looking for info on buying 5.4/F150-24638.jpeg  
Old 06-05-2016, 09:52 PM
Camping enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice truck for the money. I believe the engine build date is 10/9/07 or newer. If the sticker on the VC is missing or unreadable you need to see brown COP boots for the new style plug.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:42 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce4
Not ture... the head re-design for the 5.4L 3V was introduced in 10/07 and some 08’s made before the new motor was done may and do have the old head design. To verify this look at the sticker on the valve cover like Glock said for engine build date..truck build date has nothing to do with it.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was almost certain about all 08s being the new style with brown boots, but y'all are right! Only the ones built after October 07 were.

To the OP, even if you find the engine has the old style plugs, don't let that alone discourage you from buying it. Still a fantastic engine, just a headache when it comes time for plugs
Old 06-10-2016, 01:57 PM

Wrong post.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for info on buying 5.4/F150