Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Looking for a cat (or two?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Sara Palin 2011!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Looking for a cat (or two?)

My girlfriend really wants a kitten... oh wait.. wrong forum...

So I need a new catalytic converter.. Or two? If one is bad, should I just replace them both at once?

I also plan on putting a new exhaust on.. should probably be a different post, but it's all exhaust, so I'll cram this post with as much stuff as possible.

So... I decided to check out magnaflow high-flow cats, their site says they're $1600 each... good thing I checked ebay before my heart attack. $550. Figured I'd look at more since these were so expensive, and the prices on ebay ranged from like $80-800... got me wondering.

If I'm gonna change my cats, might as well do the whole exhaust at the same time. I've been planning on di/do for a while, because I want to increase performance. I don't care about how the tips look, I care more about it being quiet in the cab, and oomph at the wheels.

So... any suggestions? Right now I'm thinking high-flow cats, and a magnaflow di/do... Can you buy a kit with all of that? Is it really worth it? I'm just having a hard time convincing myself to put $1500 into the exhaust when all I really need is one $80 cat.

I have a SCT X3 right now, and I would probably do gotts and get a new tune if I get the whole exhaust done.

I'm just reaching out to all of you who are much much much more knowledgeable than I am about this stuff. Any tips?

I'm gonna have to go to the exhaust shop and see if it is worth buying the kit and doing it myself, or having them bend it up for me.

Thank you!!!!!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:34 AM
Sara Palin 2011!

Okay, I think I'm really confused on this. I'm seeing people buy high flow magnaflow cats for like $100. What am I doing...?
Old 02-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Blue2005f150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, are u sure u are out of warranty on your cats? There is a federal 8yr 88,000mile warranty on cats, found this out on my '05 with 56,000 miles. Other than that i have no idea about the after market ones cause my replacements were free so far.....
Old 02-08-2012, 10:19 AM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Longarms
Okay, I think I'm really confused on this. I'm seeing people buy high flow magnaflow cats for like $100. What am I doing...?
Use Magnaflow's universal cats instead of looking at the whole kits. Search Magnaflow 94106. But also check the warranty if you just need the one cat. If you go the whole route, you might want to consider a single pipe system as it will be cheaper and perform just as well as a dual system. Plus a single or separate muffler dual system sounds better than a DI/DO.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:25 AM
'08f150stx

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tgodliquor
First off, are u sure u are out of warranty on your cats? There is a federal 8yr 88,000mile warranty on cats, found this out on my '05 with 56,000 miles. Other than that i have no idea about the after market ones cause my replacements were free so far.....
^X2^
And $1600 for cats? You might have been looking at gold ones. Replace them both. If the cat is clogged, there may be other issues.
Even oem replacements from Magnaflow are not that much. I would look for oem replacements if you are a diy'er. there are universal Magnaflow cats, but then yo begin the welding process and not all DIY'ers have welders. And an '06 should not need a custom tune for a gotts and replacement exhaust.

Last edited by '08f150stx; 02-09-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Sara Palin 2011!

Thanks for the input. I'm at ~110k miles, so I'm sure I'm out of warranty. I also never wanna see that stupid service manager's stupid face ever again, and the next closest dealership is probably 45 mins away..

On Tascaparts, the oem cats are at least $650 each. Direct fit magnaflows from autoanything are 325 and 340 (left and right.) and the magnaflow 94106 are $70 on amazon. I do have access to a welder.. but I have only used it a few times.. maybe next time I'll do it myself, but I think I'll take them somewhere to be put in.

What makes you say the 94106, and not one of the many other universal magnaflows? (Wanna know for next time, teach a man to fish and all that)

You mean a single pipe with a Y will perform as well as a dual? (obviously cheaper)
Or two pipes with two mufflers will be same performance, and cheaper? (Seems more expensive to me)

The cat got clogged around the time that I was misfiring.. guessing that's what happened.

I know a tune isn't necessary for exhaust and intake, but it's worth the $30, right?
Old 02-08-2012, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by otto457
Use Magnaflow's universal cats instead of looking at the whole kits. Search Magnaflow 94106. But also check the warranty if you just need the one cat. If you go the whole route, you might want to consider a single pipe system as it will be cheaper and perform just as well as a dual system. Plus a single or separate muffler dual system sounds better than a DI/DO.
Just out of curiousity why do you suggest that one, its for a 91-95 f150 with a 302 motor not ours
Old 02-08-2012, 01:11 PM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Longarms
What makes you say the 94106, and not one of the many other universal magnaflows? (Wanna know for next time, teach a man to fish and all that)
The reason those are suggested (you could also use 94306) is because:1. They the correct pipe diameter so they will weld in easily 2. They are large enough to handle the heat that these motors make. There are smaller 2.5" diameter ones, but they tend to melt and cause the whole set of problems all over.

You mean a single pipe with a Y will perform as well as a dual? (obviously cheaper)
Or two pipes with two mufflers will be same performance, and cheaper? (Seems more expensive to me)
On a stock motor, yes. The flow really isn't needed and the scavenging is actually a little better with a single midpipe compared to duals. I just suggested the two mufflers because it sounds better than a DI/DO, but you could do a single muffler and Y it out the back for the duals look. This thread will explain my reasoning.

https://www.f150forum.com/f11/exhaus...re-myth-78102/

The cat got clogged around the time that I was misfiring.. guessing that's what happened.

I know a tune isn't necessary for exhaust and intake, but it's worth the $30, right?
A custom tune is always worth it. And yes for intakes a custom tune is strongly recommended. Also any modifications to the cats also must be considered in tuning. Bill at PHP and Mike Troyer both agree, cat backs-no changing the tuning, cat forward- custom tunes.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Sara Palin 2011!

Alright, sounds good. I thought duals were better performing. I don't care how my exhaust looks.. gonna see about having the tips hidden anyway.

Thanks for the tips!
I guess I need to go see a man about a cat..

(Oh man... I just got over "tranny" puns, here we go with the cats... being new to 'car stuff' at 25 is kind of embarrassing...)

EDIT: So... how do you know how to figure out which cat will work well? Someone on another forum said the 93406 is quieter.. I like quieter.

Last edited by Longarms; 02-08-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:10 AM
'08f150stx

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I hope if you buy the cat, and or the muffler that your installer/muffler shop will install them and bend you a custom exhaust, the way you want it. Some shops are funny that way, if you don't buy the part from them, they don't want to put yours on. Like otto said, check for any issues with the cylinder bank that the cat went bad. And yes about the custom tune, it really is a want not a need and sometimes that $30 is not available, it is going into the gas tank

Quick Reply: Looking for a cat (or two?)