Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Looking to buy a used 2006 f150

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a used 2006 f150

Hi Guys,

This is my first post. I found an 2006 f150 from a local Ford dealer at a really good price. My worry is the mileage (229,000), BUT since it is such a young truck, I am hoping I don't have to worry.

So, should I be worried or not? How many miles should I expect out of this thing before expensive stuff starts to go. I talked to the dealer and they said it's all highway miles (this accounts to well over 100 miles per day counting weekdays, so that makes sense to me) and said that it never pulled anything in its life (a little harder to believe, but I can only trust the dealer here).

Anything I should be worried about? Here are some specs (I am pretty uneducated when it comes to cars and trucks. I know it needs to get me from A to B and be able to haul a light load every now and then. Would also plan on using it to move cross country either next year or in another two years time.

One caveat is I would like to take the drive down (it's a couple hours) and look at this today. Speedy response are certainly appreciated. If I do go along with the sale I will be sure to continue being active on the forums and probably do some recommended mods.

2006 Ford F150 4x4 Supercab 145 inch XLT
5.4L 3V EFI V8 8cyl Gasoline engine
229,000 miles on ODO

Installed features:
  • Clock
  • Driver Air Bag
  • Air Conditioning
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Power Driver Seat-16 Way
  • Security System

• ABS
  • Tow Package
  • Cruise Control
  • CD Player
  • Passenger Air Bag
  • Intermittent Wipers

• Keyless Entry System
  • Power Door Locks
  • Power Mirrors
  • Power Windows
  • Power Steering
  • Tilt Wheel

Thanks for any and all help guys. This is a great forum!

Old 06-10-2011, 09:40 AM

Well even with all high way miles it's high. But if the truck was well maintained it should be ok. I mean everything changed and checked on a regular basis. With that many miles it's kind of a crap shoot. It could last for a few years or a few months. What's the price on it?
Old 06-10-2011, 11:09 AM
Running Them Down

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

At 229,000 miles I am sure its already had its hits of bad news.. But to me I never believe the dealer. I am sure the truck has pulled loads. It's what a truck is mainly bought for.. But is the motor and trans original? Like asked above whats the price if you don't mind us asking?
Old 06-10-2011, 11:19 AM

I have a 2006 Lariat with more features than you list-- with 55k miles, that I bought 3 months ago for $16k. I should have asked about the spark plugs because changing them could cost up to $1000 should some break off ( see sticky note on this board). Ask if the plugs on your truck were changed (and at what mileage) and do they currently have anti-sieze coating? I would expect you should be able to purchase your truck IF the body is mint condition AND the price allowed you to install a new engine for under $12k. Otherwise there are lots of similar vehicles with lower mileage listed on pickuptrucks.com.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:07 AM

They had it listed for just under $6k. I checked it out and I wasn't happy with it. Every warning light was on - dealer said it was normal. Radio didn't work. All buttons (power windows and locks) on passenger side were broken. Coth on roof was stained/broken. The right rear side of the bed has been hit. The rhino liner was peeling. I could probably go on.

All this, and the dealer said it was great for <$6k. Perhaps he was right, but I am not at a point in my life where I could make a $6k crapshoot.

Anyhow, thanks for the responses.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:13 PM
Defininf Mediocrity...

Exclamation

Originally Posted by lordofthereef
They had it listed for just under $6k. I checked it out and I wasn't happy with it. Every warning light was on - dealer said it was normal. Radio didn't work. All buttons (power windows and locks) on passenger side were broken. Coth on roof was stained/broken. The right rear side of the bed has been hit. The rhino liner was peeling. I could probably go on.

All this, and the dealer said it was great for <$6k. Perhaps he was right, but I am not at a point in my life where I could make a $6k crapshoot.

Anyhow, thanks for the responses.
No, the dealer was NOT right, however you were and made a wise decision for walking. It sounds like you had a used car "Salesman" and not a "Sales Professional". There is a big difference.....

I just purchased my first 'pre-owned' American made vehicle. My wife have been Lexus / BMW owners for the past 10 yrs. and dealership after dealership (Ford, GM, Dodge etc.) had us all shaking our heads from side to side mumbling "ametaur hour" by the lack of professionalism that seemed to stem from these dealerships [This behavior and sentiment was not exclusive to any American owned brand] but the sales persons were just pathetic really. It didnt seem to matter what "I was looking for", or what "I wanted", they just seemed to try and push "what THEY had to sell me.

When you ask questions about a vehicle that is on a dealers lot, stick to questions with answers that are 1.) verifiable, and 2.) largely fact based only. ALWAYS ask for a Carfax report before you get to the negot table. Assume everything else they tell you about a trucks history is complete B.S. Most often it is... they want a sale, you want a truck. They should be facilitating a transaction for a vehicle purchase... not pushing a product. The vehicle should sell itself on its own merrit, and if you get a good "Sales Professional", they will make that transaction a very pleasant buying experience for you.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a used 2006 f150