Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Looking to buy an F150

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy an F150

So I'm looking into buying an 07 f150 with the 5.4 engine. I'm aware of the cam phaser problems these engines have and have a few questions about it. So this 07 has 95k miles on it and doesn't have the imfamous knock...yet. I was wondering what are the chances this truck develops the problem? Does it relate to how the truck was pushed and used or does it just happen? Also, if it does happen after I hypothetically bought the truck, is it something that has to be fixed or do people just fix it because they're annoyed with the sound? Thanks for the help and sorry if there's a thread for this already, I couldn't find anything that answered my question specifically.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by carkeese23
So I'm looking into buying an 07 f150 with the 5.4 engine. I'm aware of the cam phaser problems these engines have and have a few questions about it. So this 07 has 95k miles on it and doesn't have the imfamous knock...yet. I was wondering what are the chances this truck develops the problem? Does it relate to how the truck was pushed and used or does it just happen? Also, if it does happen after I hypothetically bought the truck, is it something that has to be fixed or do people just fix it because they're annoyed with the sound? Thanks for the help and sorry if there's a thread for this already, I couldn't find anything that answered my question specifically.
I can't speak to the cam phaser issues as mine is an 08 but I would have to think that if it doesn't have it after 95k then it's probably not gonna happen. Hopefully some the other members will chime in soon.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:54 PM

Received 143 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by TheCleaner
I can't speak to the cam phaser issues as mine is an 08 but I would have to think that if it doesn't have it after 95k then it's probably not gonna happen. Hopefully some the other members will chime in soon.
Just because you have an 08 doesn't mean you're safe. All the 3V 5.4s had issues..

OP, it can happen whenever. Most of the time it's not just the phasers thought. Usually the plastic chain guides break and jam up the oil pickup tube. All of this can result in low oil pressure causing major problems down the road. If it makes noise, fix it.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:34 AM

I guess what I'm asking is should I go into this with the expectation of having to replace the phasers or is it more hit and miss than I think it is with the 5.4? I'm a college student and don't exactly have 3k lying around to have phasers replaced. Just trying to make the best financial decision.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:15 AM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I guess what I'm asking is should I go into this with the expectation of having to replace the phasers or is it more hit and miss than I think it is with the 5.4? I'm a college student and don't exactly have 3k lying around to have phasers replaced. Just trying to make the best financial decision.
I mean when people read these negative posts about the 5.4 3v, they're really only reading the posts regarding the ones who have had problems with it. So obviously it looks like the engine is the worst ever built. I mean who goes out of their way to create posts about how well their 3v has performed and still works. Not many tbh. Sure it's got flaws but so do a lot of other engines. There's probably many out there who have never had an issue (major) with their 3v. Is it the best financial decision? Maybe not. Solely because these engines don't have the fuel efficiency of let's say a 2006 Honda Civic.

But guess what? I'm also a college student, I bought just bought an 05 F150 with 120k and no issues, and I did it fully aware of these design flaws. Why? Because I love this generation of the F150 and I love this engine as well. I also know it's been babied by the previous owner and meticulously maintained. If it was really the worst truck engine then I wouldn't see the lot driving around still (still see a lot).

P.S: My friend has an 05 RWD Lariat and takes that pig mudding as if it's a 4x4. His only problem atm? Tranny issues and warped brake rotors. If that doesn't say something then damn. Also, I believe running 5w-30 full synth is a very good way of ensuring a little extra protection. The previous owner said that's all he ran and he worked for a mechanic as well.

Last edited by LariatDude; 02-21-2017 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Adding one more thing
Old 02-21-2017, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by LariatDude
I mean when people read these negative posts about the 5.4 3v, they're really only reading the posts regarding the ones who have had problems with it. So obviously it looks like the engine is the worst ever built. I mean who goes out of their way to create posts about how well their 3v has performed and still works. Not many tbh. Sure it's got flaws but so do a lot of other engines. There's probably many out there who have never had an issue (major) with their 3v. Is it the best financial decision? Maybe not. Solely because these engines don't have the fuel efficiency of let's say a 2006 Honda Civic.

But guess what? I'm also a college student, I bought just bought an 05 F150 with 120k and no issues, and I did it fully aware of these design flaws. Why? Because I love this generation of the F150 and I love this engine as well. I also know it's been babied by the previous owner and meticulously maintained. If it was really the worst truck engine then I wouldn't see the lot driving around still (still see a lot).

P.S: My friend has an 05 RWD Lariat and takes that pig mudding as if it's a 4x4. His only problem atm? Tranny issues and warped brake rotors. If that doesn't say something then damn. Also, I believe running 5w-30 full synth is a very good way of ensuring a little extra protection. The previous owner said that's all he ran and he worked for a mechanic as well.
thanks this was super helpful!
Old 02-21-2017, 10:21 AM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

thanks this was super helpful!
You got it, man
Old 02-21-2017, 01:52 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,597 Likes on 6,203 Posts

We have been warned before about engine oil debates. Move the discussion here : https://www.f150forum.com/f4/5-4l-en...-i-use-337712/ if you want to discuss oil.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:57 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Summers22
We have been warned before about engine oil debates. Move the discussion here : https://www.f150forum.com/f4/5-4l-en...-i-use-337712/ if you want to discuss oil.

Haha I knew it was coming that's why I sent a private message to hahanson to discuss.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:37 PM
Some guy

Received 2,021 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Originally Posted by hahanson
Also, please show us your forum police badge. Thanks.
I can show you mine, if you want.

Summers is right. There is already an oil thread. One. One thread. For oil. It's a thread, and it's about oil. An oil thread. One of them. And you have the link to it.

Now, in the words of Jimi Hendrix, "Scuse me, while I clean this thread!"
The following users liked this post:
BadFish523 (02-21-2017)