Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Looking to buy 2004 lariat

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 02:53 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Looking to buy 2004 lariat

I am looking to pickup a 2004 lariat with about 190k . What type of issues should I look for ? (phaser issues?) The owner has paper work showing all the work that has been done at the dealer, one thing that seems to be missing is a spark plug replacement and from the sounds of it that job is a PIA. Also I looked for a "how many miles " thread however did not see one. How many miles can you expect out of a truck like this ?

Looking for 04-08 SCREW to tow my boat, and get to work if winter is bad. I will be getting a new car in October and want to get rid of my problematic tow rig I have now before the new car comes. I live very close to Saint Louis Mo .

Thanks!

Last edited by majerus; 08-26-2014 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Added looking for text
Old 08-25-2014, 06:20 PM

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by majerus
I am looking to pickup a 2004 lariat with about 190k . What type of issues should I look for ? (phaser issues?) The owner has paper work showing all the work that has been done at the dealer, one thing that seems to be missing is a spark plug replacement and from the sounds of it that job is a PIA. Also I looked for a "how many miles " thread however did not see one. How many miles can you expect out of a truck like this ? Thanks!
This is tricky...... First off, let it warm up all the way, this should identify phaser issues, you will get a knock.... Have someone pull a plug to check status. All that said, don't over pay for any vehicle with 190k , good luck!
Old 08-25-2014, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am looking to pickup a 2004 lariat with about 190k . What type of issues should I look for ? (phaser issues?) The owner has paper work showing all the work that has been done at the dealer, one thing that seems to be missing is a spark plug replacement and from the sounds of it that job is a PIA. Also I looked for a "how many miles " thread however did not see one. How many miles can you expect out of a truck like this ?

Thanks!
Where are you located? I'm thinking about selling mine.
The following users liked this post:
majerus (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 06:31 PM

Do you think 7k would be too much? The truck does have some rust around the bottom cab corners..
Old 08-26-2014, 11:36 AM

Received 87 Likes on 80 Posts

190k miles and rust? I'd hold onto your $ and keep looking unless the owner is just willing to give it away very cheap. $7k is too much.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Adam013085
190k miles and rust? I'd hold onto your $ and keep looking unless the owner is just willing to give it away very cheap. $7k is too much.
Agree
Old 08-26-2014, 02:59 PM

The cab corners, along with the bumper appear to be the only rusted parts. Other then that interior is great, and all maintenance records are from a dealer. Craigslist and ebay are where I have been looking any other ideas?
Old 08-26-2014, 03:04 PM

The cab corners, along with the bumper appear to be the only rusted parts. Other then that interior is great, and all maintenance records are from a dealer. Craigslist and ebay are where I have been looking any other ideas?
Just remember, if there is rust you can see, there is rust you can't see, right off the bat you will need a FPDM
Old 08-26-2014, 07:09 PM
F150 Life

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

CL is typically where I look as well, however I've noticed a lot of the members on here actually will post theirs for sale. Checkout the community page. That or write up a "looking to buy" post and see who may be near you that is looking to sell.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by americanford89
CL is typically where I look as well, however I've noticed a lot of the members on here actually will post theirs for sale. Checkout the community page. That or write up a "looking to buy" post and see who may be near you that is looking to sell.

Thats the title of this thread , granted I didn't ask for offers.

Since this thread is here I am looking for a 04-08 SCREW to tow my boat, and get me to work if winter is bad. I will be getting a new car in October and want to get rid of my problematic tow rig I have now before the new car comes. I live very close to Saint Louis Mo .

Quick Reply: Looking to buy 2004 lariat