Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Looking B/W a 2006 and 2008 150

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 02:39 PM

Received 228 Likes on 175 Posts

Default Looking B/W a 2006 and 2008 150

Hey guys, long story short, My truck was wrecked the jury is still out on if it is totaled. In the meantime, I am looking at used vehicles just in case it is, and hopefully they will still be there when I find out the verdict.

I found a 2006 FX4 SuperCrew appears to be short bed, I haven't been able to lay eyes on it yet, and their are no pictures, local Yota dealer just got it. Assuming 3.73LS but Vin is not Showing in Window sticker search. W/ 90K Mi

Other one is a 2008 Super Cab XLT 4x4 w/ 66K Mi. Needs a lot TLC on some of the plastic work. 3.55LS 5.4L Appears Stock and to have been stock.

other than the Plugs, VCT, and if they have a drop in liner to check for bed rust, FPDM, am I forgetting any other big questions to ask the Dealers?

(At this point in my day, I apologize for the horrible grammar, please don't police me........ much)

Last edited by RajunKajun59; 07-09-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:03 PM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Don't worry about VCT and FPDM. Those are minimal in retrospect of a big purchase, and are not a problem that is going to show much grief. If the truck doesn't start because of an FPDM, you won't even be looking at it at a dealers lot. Ask them to drop the spare so you can look at it if you want, but it's only a $60 part.

The VCT's are not really a huge issue. You want to hear the engine and listen for phaser noise. VCT's again are a cheap fix that shouldn't really effect purchasing a vehicle, but cam phasers are costly, so you want to look out for those.

Make sure the tires have good life left in them, and if they don't bank on that costing you $1500 or so.

Make sure they inspect the brakes and give you an idea of how much life is left.

Make sure you have two keys. Because it's a pain in the *** to get a second (at least for me in Canada)

Plugs are the main thing. Check if it's been in any major accidents or has a rebuilt status.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:15 PM

That's what I meant Cam Phasers not VCT's. The FX4 is Clean, the Dealership had no issues showing me the CarFax right there when I was asking them about it, it was just at detailing so it wasn't on site. 2 Owners, though.

As for the XLT the Dealer doesn't do CarFax, the have their own system, but won't show me until I am ready to buy. which is BS as far as I am concerned.

I mechanically inclined enough to do the work myself, but as you said, I don't want to buy a vehicle that has the issues if I can help it.

I got lucky with my 07, and boy am I wishing it wasn't hit. At least I am not at fault. And Since I decided not to get a new truck a couple months, the wife and I started some other projects around house, so buying a new one is out of the question, I just want back into something similar to mine just 4x4. And 2006 - 2010 F150s are hard to come buy used in my area for a decent price. People are holding on to them.

The other day i saw a 2010 Lariat 4x4 3.55LS 5.4L Short Bed SC with 80K Mi, they wanted 33K for it. I wanted to Die
Old 07-09-2014, 09:02 PM
Just Creepin

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleSelection.do#

This was a great resource while I was looking. If can get the vin (i was looking at dealers so most all of them listed it online). Could see every little thing the truck had or didn't have.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by TheJcode
http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleSelection.do#

This was a great resource while I was looking. If can get the vin (i was looking at dealers so most all of them listed it online). Could see every little thing the truck had or didn't have.
Thanks, it is a SuperCab 6.5' Bed according to ETIS. I beleive that is what 3/4 rear door means? The Toyota guys have no clue the nomenclature for Fords, but it still looks like better buy then the 08, even with 30K more miles, it is a late 06 Manufacture Date, 3 Months earlier then my wrecked 07. LOL
Old 07-10-2014, 03:43 PM
NCgraywolf

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not trust them about the CarFax. If you are there you may buy the truck. They can always use the CarFax for the next customer if you do not buy. Always be ready to leave a dealership. They pull all sorts of tricks to get you. It is actually best to go in NOT ready to buy. Decide ahead what you want and stick to it. Do not compromise. YOU are the customer. I was a certified Ford salesman about ten years ago. They (and all dealers) will lie and die trying to keep you at the dealership. Do NOT let them control the sale with questions like, "What will it take to get you to buy today?". (new truck for free!) "What payment will it take to get you to buy today?". They will try to get you to say one or two things. Do not fall into the trap of some number of things that can be met and then you still get screwed on others...trade-in, interest rate, years of payments, etc. They will try to be your friend. Don't buy from a "friend". Read over the agreement carefully.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:53 PM
Just Creepin

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes. Supercab is the 3/4 door, or extended cab of course.. Supercrew or Crewcab would be the full 4 door.

That site helped because some online sites would list them as XLT and they were actually Lariat. When the "features" list generic stuff like power windows, locks, and cruise control and nothing else, it was handy having that link with information on the vin.

Quick Reply: Looking B/W a 2006 and 2008 150