Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Looking for advice on Bilsteins

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice on Bilsteins

Hey guys i have a 2008 Fx4 on 305/65/18 BFG A/T's that had a leveling kit and needed new control arms/ball joints. Dont know what size level kit as it was on there when i bought the truck but i assume its a 2.5inch. I ended up going with the moog control arms because they are greasable and seem a little nicer than stock. Turns out i needed new struts too, i've been wanting to ditch the spacer and use the bilstein 5100s to level it out eventually so this seemed like the opportunity to do that, so thats what i had them do. I noticed right away that my truck sits just a touch lower in the front (which i kind of expected). But now at full lock to the left im rubbing the sway bar. Anyone have any similar experience?? I am wondering if i should put the leveling kit back on and set the bilsteins to stock and enjoy the nicer ride/no rubbing but not use them to do the level? Anyone running Bilstein 5100s set to stock height WITH a leveling kit? Looking for any advice or similar experiences so thanks for any help!

Last edited by schw8901; 01-26-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:46 PM

Damn, thats a lot of views with no responses whats up with that? guess no one has any good advice to give
Old 01-25-2012, 04:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm running the 305x65x18 BFG all terrains as well with the bilstein 5100s and I get no rub at all. You running the stock wheels with those?

Last edited by Jono6716; 01-25-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:02 PM

Thanks, thats what i was looking for. Ya i thought people were running this same setup without issue and i wasnt rubbing at all either until i swapped out the stock UCA's and struts for MOOG's and Bilsteins. So its not the bilsteins, and i thought the MOOG's shouldnt be any different than stock just a little nicer but maybe thats where i went wrong... still if anyone has any similar experience or any possible solutions i appreciate any feedback.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:19 AM

Jono, i am running stock wheels still. What do you have on yours? Looks like its prob time for new wheels too...
Old 01-26-2012, 11:04 AM

So after driving around a bit yesterday with the 5100s im not impressed at all on their funcionality of leveling the truck. I needed new struts anyway so i dont regret buying them and they do make the truck handle a little better but by no means do i consider this the best way to level your truck. I dont care what everyone says, that clunking noise they are making on some bumps is enough for me to think i should put the spacer back on and just set them to stock and enjoy their benefits as a shock absorber, not a leveling kit. Anyone else have them on the max setting getting this clunking sound from them?? if there is a fix im open to looking into it but as of now, not knowing much about suspension and trucks, just using good ol common sense i think i should put that spacer back on
Old 01-26-2012, 12:11 PM

IMO the spacer SHOULD ride rougher than the Bilstein. I've driven a 05 Scab FX4 with 2" spacer on 275/70/18 and compared to my 07 Scab FX4 with Bilstein on 275/65/20, and my 5100 did better inalmost of conditions minus speedbumps while driving 10-15mph. When they were installed did you make sure the bump stops were in good condition? And has for your fix, I think everyone will agree we need more information to help dissect your current issue.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:39 PM

thanks Hoppy! I agree with what you said... thats why im so confused. What more info would you need? Brought it to the shop. they did the install so no, i wasnt able to inspect the bump stops but the shop is a fairly reputabel 4x4 shop so i ASSUME they would make sure everything is fine. although, they did leave a line of some sort next to the coil bucket unbolted and the other side not tightened but with a bolt in it. didnt make me feel great to see that. went back and showed them. the mech seemed frustrated someone would do that but didnt make a big deal out of it and fixed it. 2008 FX4 with 2.5" level on 305/65/18 BFG A/T's and life was good. Now has new MOOG UCA's and bilstein 5100's set at max height. Everything else is the same. Now rubbing on drivers side of sway bar at full lock to the left, in addition to the nasty clunking sound i hear when i hit potholes, spped bumps, etc while going slow. Havent tried to hit anything going faster as it just sounds like something will fall apart but maybe thats normal i dont know. Why do you say they should feel better in almost all conditions "minus speedbumps while driving 10-15mph"?? that comment really interests me...
Old 01-26-2012, 12:48 PM

The other truck absorbed it a little better, but now that I'm thinking about it could be due to the tires and not spacer. Also, sounds like its the MOOG, they might slightly beefier causing the rub. As for " pop" I'm clueless other than something is either loose or over tightened.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:14 PM

Ok im at a loss here and dont know what to do. Everything i have read and what other people say they are running as well as the tire and wheel fitment sticky say i should have no problem fitting a 305/65/18 on a truck leveled with bilstein 5100's. Just called MOOG and the tech said no way is their UCA the issue. they are OE quality and he said they are absolutely within the specs of the original UCA's from ford and are the same. So its not MOOG. i've narrowed it down to the only things casuing the issue could be the tires and bilsteins. Well, havent been able to find one person who rubs with this combo so now its getting frustrating. Any other ideas out there???

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on Bilsteins